Maghon Thomas's Reviews > Illumine

Illumine by Alivia Anders

3382002

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult

This is a very interesting story. It starts out with a girl who saw her boyfriend murdered. She has nightmares, she thinks she's seeing things. All she wants is for things to be normal. Nope, she isn't gunna get her normal back because she herself just ain't normal. When she gets frightened or stressed, she shoots blue fire from her hands. Then she starts seeing what looks like wings in her back. So she goes to Maine. Then she finds out Kayden, who is the demon that was summoned to kill her and he's following her around. And yet instead of killing her, he can't touch her, so Kayden decides to find out why. It's an interesting turn of events.

It took me a minute to get into it, but when the crazy hits the fan at the party for Essallie, things start getting good. There's some good action, and the pacing is very fast, so you'll soak it up quick. Plus, there's all kinda goodies in here, angels and demons and magic :) Essallie is a little, I don't know, almost annoying at the beginning. I know you might be loosing it, but jeez, must we whine. Thank goodness she got much better into the story. Kayden is not your typical demon and I loved that about him. He is creeptastic of course, but he has depth.

The plot is suspenseful and interesting. I enjoyed the twists as things were revealed and I loved the ending, when your mind is blown by everything. My only complaint is the POV and scene switching. It maybe could've been a little but smoother, but nothing crazy or too bad. Also, there's a bit of spelling and punctuation errors here. As well as a lack of explanations from when Essallie moves from one school to another. She has her accident, and then it skips several months, the move, and she is in a new school with new friends. I would have liked have a little bit more explanations. But, it's also a short novella, so I know that some of the more detail and info dumps get skipped to make it a short story. So, I would love to read book two, and I'm looking forward to more :) Hopefully, some of the flaws won't make it to that one :) 3.5 PAWS!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illumine.

February 23, 2012 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 28, 2014 – Started Reading