Jessica's Reviews > 32 Candles

32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter

liked it

Let me start by saying this: There is nothing attractive about a guy who won't take no for an answer.

That alone made this book much less enjoyable for me than it could have been. Before that, I was enjoying the ups and downs of Davie's story, except perhaps for the implausibility of her going from not speaking for years to landing the job she did in LA. And I raised an eyebrow at her reaction to Nicky's "birthday surprise," given her previous descriptions of him, but I can see how it could happen. But the whole interaction / forced date with James just skeeved me out. As far as he knew, she was just some random woman he'd run into and then would not leave alone.

I liked the rest of the book better than I expected, though. It definitely plays out like a movie, but that's kind of the point. I enjoy a good "making amends" journey, and watching the other pieces fall into place -- finally putting her degree to work, matching up characters who went well together -- was great. I'm not a big reader of "chick lit," but I'd imagine this is typical fare -- some self-discovery, some sex, some implausibility, and a happy ending. I liked it overall, but given that I had some serious issues with the primary heartthrob, it's not one high on my list to recommend or reread.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 32 Candles.

June 28, 2014 – Shelved