Anne Borrowdale's Reviews > The Girl in the Cellar

The Girl in the Cellar by Patricia Wentworth

Jun 28, 2014

liked it

This book kills me. Quite literally. The girl discovered murdered in the cellar is called Anne Borrowdale. That's why I have a soft spot for this book, even though it's not one of Wentworth's best. The tension of the story, with a different Anne struggling to recover her memory of who she is and what she has witnessed, is very well done. But the motive for the murder and the threat the heroine is facing, are not very convincing, nor is the connection between the two girls. There are some sloppy plot points - in one scene, Anne agrees to rent a room to get away from where she's staying, but in the next scene, she's wondering where she can go.
Despite not being that well written, I still enjoy re-reading it when I'm tired and want a quick, undemanding read, and it's not every day I read about myself getting murdered!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Cellar.

Started Reading
June 1, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 28, 2014 – Shelved

message 1: by Mari (new)

Mari Name thing: very funny/creepy - since Borrowdale isn't a name we meet everyday - like, say, Taylor or even Howard ... Probably won't read it as you say, plot has weaknesses, but thanks for sharing you cosy relationship with this book.

Anne Borrowdale Thanks Mari. Do you re-read books, or have some which which are comfortable old friends?

message 3: by Mari (new)

Mari I hardly ever re-read a novel ... because of the frustration of it being predictable! There is one I have re-read with great pleasure - The Translator, by Leila Aboulela. We re-read the Lord of the Rings every winter as a fireside exercise, which has become a ritual. When I was a kid, though, I had lots I re-read - Beatrix Potter's work, among others. Very comforting when unwell or sad about anything. Lovely pictures to study in detail. Our daughter did the same thing: for her it was something called The Talking Parcel. I forget who wrote it.