Sara's Reviews > The Marrowbone Marble Company

The Marrowbone Marble Company by M. Glenn Taylor

Apr 11, 2010

bookshelves: giveaways, fiction
Read from April 16 to 24, 2010

ARC received through the First Reads giveaway program.

This was one of those books that I signed up for in First Reads, but I wasn't super-eager to read it. Boy, if I had only known! It only took 2 pages and I was hooked.

This is the story of Loyal Ledford and his marble factory, along with the desegregated community that springs up around it. It covers the time period between World War II and the first moon landing, and has the feel of an epic even though it's only 358 pages long. Taylor is wonderful at hinting at things--he may only write a few lines on something, but you feel what's going on behind the scenes. That's a rare gift.

Not everything is sunshine and daisies, of course. There's conflict, anger and heatbreak--but everything is resolved in a most satisfactory manner. The way this book wrapped up just felt right.

I'm sorry if this isn't the most coherent review. This book really moved me and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why. It's really beautiful, though. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marrowbone Marble Company.