Ali's Reviews > Absent In The Spring

Absent In The Spring by Mary Westmacott

Apr 11, 2010

Having read so many Agatha Christie novels - I have not (untill now) read any of the Mary Westmacott books. I know from a biography I read recently that they are quite different, not featuring detectives and murders. Her Mary Westmacott novels (of which I believe there are 6) are about crimes of the heart. This one Absent in the spring, I found really good indeed. Middle aged Joan Scudamore is totally isolated, while stranded in a rest house in Iraq, her lonlieness playing on her mind, allows her to look back over key points in her life with a clear eye. Through this process Joan faces some difficult truths. The ending has a slight twist - which is not totally unexpected. The writing is really good, and the way in which the author has slowly revealed - by going back and forth over certain events in Joan's her husband's and children's lives - the hold Joan has had over the lives of her family, the decisions she has had them make beacuse of how she treats them. I can't wait to read more Mary Westmacott novels now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absent In The Spring.

11/29/2017 marked as: read