Jules's Reviews > French Toast

French Toast by Glynis Astie

liked it

French Toast is Glynis Astie's second novel, and it is the second novel in a series that is loosely based on her real life. French Toast is a slightly intense, yet humorous, look at the roller-coaster of married life.

After their whirlwind romance and wedding, Sydney and Louis try to settle into married life. However, they're thrown a few curve balls. The first is the loss of a job which puts an incredible strain on their marriage. The second is Louis' family. His keep-up-with-Jones mother insists on throwing a lavish wedding for them in their small French town. Her idea of a wedding celebration includes more than a week of activities, and although she has been given carte blanche to plan all the events, she incessantly calls for Louis' input and to inform him of schedule changes and additions. The last curve ball is that Louis is so busy looking for work, finding and keeping work, that he has little time to devote to the oh-so-needy Sydney.

In French Toast, we meet more of Sydney's friends and all of Louis' relatives. Each additional character was a welcome addition to the story. Louis' parents, Simone and Michel, and his cousins and ex-girlfriends provide much of the comedy. All the antics over the two-week celebration are close to too much for Sydney; there were times I thought she needed a therapist, but then the love of her life, Louis, calmed her down.

Once the happily married (again) couple returns to the US, life continues to be one hurdle after another as they plan for their third and final wedding. After all, Sydney still needed the wedding she has dreamt of since she was a little girl. One of the most delightful aspects of this book is that we get to know Sydney's stepfather more. He always seems to know when to give a hug or tell a joke. His words of wisdom and wedding toasts were all special.

While I found this book to be engaging and zanily funny, I found Sydney's anxiety-ridden inner monologue tiresome after a while. The book would have been far more intriguing if more dialogue had been included and if more details of Sydney's escapades with her mother-in-law, Simone, had been added in. Overall a charming rom-com and a good follow-up novel. I'm sure the Ms. Astie's next book, French Fry, will be equally entertaining.

***Review has been done in conjunction with Nerd Girl Official. For more information regarding our reviews please visit our Fansite: www.facebook.com/NerdGirl.ng ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Toast.

June 27, 2014 – Started Reading