Ariana's Reviews > The Truth About Forever

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

First thoughts:

I might need to change my rating system for this book to be given only 5 stars..
Also i need some time to sort out my feelings (between both overwhelming joy and sadness) and come up with a proper review, because i have lots of "wow"s in my mind right now, but i fear that it might not be enough to express how beautiful this book really is.
This story really touched a soft spot in my heart.
"It's all in the view. That's what I mean about forever, too. For any one of us our forever could end in an hour, or a hundred years from now. You never know for sure, so you'd better make every second count."

Full Review:

This book was so beautiful that I felt the urge to cry so many times, but not just for sadness, but because of all those strong emotions that this story has brought out of my heart.

Truth being said, I think I've felt in love that night, while reading it.. not only with Wes but with all the crew members from Wish. I have a big heart in my tiny body, so maybe even Caroline can squeeze in there, also I have a lot of affection for Macy's father, and - if she wasn't so damn stubborn - Macy's mother could've won a little spot too.. just a tiny one.

I haven't enjoyed the side characters this much since maybe On the Jellicoe Road , I haven't cheered as much for the main characters since Anna and the French Kiss, I haven't cared this much for someone's (as a character) death since Winter Longing or The Hunger Games as a matter of fact.. Oh God, I simply love it!

This is a story about loss, and I understand it;
This is a story about first love, and remember it;
This is a story about beginnings, and I am already there;
This is a story about real life, and I am living it...
This is one of those beautiful books that I will grab some other time and read it again, and I really hope that I will be able to feel the same emotions, that I am going to love it even more..

I liked the way every character in the story handled the loss in their life (and how different their choices were):
- Macy's mother and Wes found refugee in their work (the same path but in such a different way)
- Macy kept all the pain inside, waiting for it to just disappear in time, but in fact it only got stronger until it became unbearable. I understood her friendship with Wes, how good it felt for her to talk to someone that could understand her and her fears, someone who could take the pain away with only an embrace, or a word, or an understanding smile.
- Delia was a mixture between them all. She knew how strong her pain was, and she learned how to live with it (I liked the comparison with the hole in the road, I could understand her better)
- Macy's sister was probably more like me. She was the one crying her heart out at the beginning, and after that she was the one trying to put the pieces of her life (and even theirs) back together.

Now about the love story, oh, it was precious.
Macy and Wes are adorable, too adorable for words.
It was such a slow development, in the best possible way, it made me feel like a teenager again, falling in love for the first time.. I loved their truth game and the way they kept finding out things about each other, it was nice to see how perfectly they fit together, how close they became day by day.
There are few couples in the YA literature that made me feel so much joy and sadness for them.

It's just crazy how beautiful this book really is.

And now I'm at a loss for words, so go read the book and then tell the world how much you love it, because I bet you will, with all your heart.
"...the truth about forever is that it is happening right now..."

This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth About Forever.

Quotes Ariana Liked

Sarah Dessen
“It's all in the view. That's what I mean about forever, too. For any one of us our forever could end in an hour, or a hundred years from now. You never know for sure, so you'd better make every second count.”
Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever

Sarah Dessen
“the truth about forever is that it is happening right now”
Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever

April 10, 2010 – Shelved
June 16, 2011 – Started Reading
June 16, 2011 –
page 121
32.35% "..and liking it :)"
June 16, 2011 –
page 245
65.51% "Oh, my.. Where's the link to the "best couple" poll so I can vote for Wes and Marcy?"
June 16, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: standalone
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-light
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: mixed

Arlene My favorite by Dessen! Glad you loved it too. :D

Alyssa This was definitely Dessen's strongest works, no doubt. Even having read it at least 4 years ago, it's still high on my favourites list.

Ariana Yes, it is definitely a wonderful story that will sit high on my list of favourites too. I'm even afraid to read other books by her, because without meaning it, I will probably get to compare them with this one ;))

Alyssa Ari wrote: "Yes, it is definitely a wonderful story that will sit high on my list of favourites too. I'm even afraid to read other books by her, because without meaning it, I will probably get to compare them ..."

I suggest This Lullaby if you haven't gotten to it yet. Although it's sort of tropetastic, it's a lot of fun and pretty adorable. (Plus Dexter is pretttyyyy hot.)

message 5: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn You explained your love for this book like it was coming right from me. This is always one of my go to books because, of all of the emotion.

Andrèa Yes I loved this book as well! It was so great. I love how you explained everything in your review, especially the characters and how they handled their grief.

Ariana Thanks, Andrèa. I really loved this book - and I am glad that you did as well :)
Happy holidays!

Gabrielle Wow. This is honestly the best book review I have ever read. You managed to write just about everything I thought as well. I was going to write a review on this book, but now I'm not so sure because it wouldn't do the justice to this book as well as you did. Please keep writing reviews!!!

message 9: by Ariana (last edited Mar 08, 2013 03:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariana Thanks, Gabrielle, I am glad that you've enjoyed this book just as much. Sometimes it happens to me as well to read a review and think: "my thoughts exactly".. maybe that's why I read the reviews before reading the book and then only after I write down mine :))

Purva Wonderful review, Ari! :)
This one has been on my tbr list since ages.

Ariana I hope you will like it as well. It is a very sweet story - maybe a bit bittersweet at times too, but I deeply enjoyed it :)

message 12: by Gabrielle (last edited Mar 08, 2013 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabrielle Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that On the Jellicoe Road also dug in just as deep as this book did for me. Also, it's in my top favorites book list just like The Truth About Forever. Others are The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy: The Summer I Turned Pretty; It's Not Summer Without You; We'll Always Have Summer (have you ever read this trilogy??? Bc Oh My God...It looks like a nice, light, fun summer read, but it's really just as beautiful and profound as the above mentioned books), Sing Me to Sleep which was a MAJOR tearjerker but such an amazing read, The Twilight Saga (Yes, I'm one of those, especially since its the series that introduced me to YA), Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot, and there are SO MANY MORE but I'd need to write a whole novel to get all of them down. And of course, ANYTHING written by Sarah Dessen. I love her. She's my favorite :D

message 13: by Ariana (last edited Mar 10, 2013 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariana "On The Jellicoe Road" is a favorite book of mine as well. I remember getting through the first 100 pages or so and not understanding a damn thing (I knew from my book friends that I should just keep reading), but then it was like the light-switch has been turned on instantly and I could really see the beauty of that story. Years after I still love it to pieces!
I might check that 'summer' trilogy someday, I've heard a lot about it but didn't get the chance to really check it out.

I just finish a book from Ruta Sepetys today (so heartbreakingly beautiful) so I can recommend her books to you, even though they may not be for everyone (you'll understand why I say that if you get to read them), but I really loved them both.

Gabrielle I will be sure to check those out, but I don't know if I can read a story that will make me cry again just yet! Haha, I wish I had more books to recommend but at the moment I'm coming up blank :( I will let you know for sure once my "brain fart" goes away. I hate that expression "brain fart," but when I say "brain block," people always look at me funny and look confused so I always end up having to say it anyway. Sorry, I just got a little off-track there lol. Oh, and I might need to ask you about Jellicoe Road once I remember which parts i was still kind of confused about at the end.

message 15: by Ariana (last edited Mar 11, 2013 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariana Ha haa, well I am not a native English speaker and I can't say that I am used to just one or the other, so you can say both "brain fart" or "brain block" I'll still get it :))

I have a full list with favorite books all different genres and I can't say that I like that much sad stories, but somehow those are the ones that stay with me longer after I finish reading them.

message 16: by Gabrielle (last edited Mar 12, 2013 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabrielle For someone who is not a native English speaker, you definitely could be because you speak it really well. The sad ones stay in me a different way than the happy ones. I think about the sad ones a bit more, though,because they always make me wonder if things in the story could have ended some other way. Oh! I remember two more trilogies! The first one is Gemma Doyle Trilogy, including A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and The Sweet Far Thing and the second one is Halo, Hades, and Heaven. There's also Airhead, Being Nikki, and Runaway, but these are probably slightly more teen-ish than you're used to. It's Meg Cabot, so you probably know that her books are usually more PG-rated,but I loved it. The book Willow was also a really beautiful read. It was sad, but it was also happy. Anna and the French Kiss is also brilliant as well as Falling in Love with English Boys and oh my goodness, so so so many more. I guess my brain block is gone hahaha

Ariana Did you just say Anna and the French Kiss? After reading that book I had a very hard time enjoying other romantic books. I loved it so much! Where are the English boys when you need a very cute one to be your Etienne? But then again, he was only part English, maybe that's the problem :)))

I've heard about Meg Cabot's books, but yeah, they seem better suited for a young audience (maybe one of these days I will be in a mood for that though :D). As for the other ones I will definitely check them out to see if they grab my attention. Thanks for the recommendations ;)

Regarding my English, every now and then I find some mistakes in my reviews, but as long as I can express my feelings about the books I love and people get to understand my ramblings, it might not be such a big problem :)))

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Omg, I thought I was the only one that felt the same way! It was hard to read paranormal now, especially angel because I've read Unearthly by Cynthia Hand.

Ariana You said 'angel' and I went straight to your review for Daughter of Smoke & Bone to see if you liked it :))
I liked the second book better in both "Unearthly" and "Daughter.." series and I have too a hard time picking another angel book after those. Well, I wasn't much interested in angel-stories before, so I can't say that I blame them that much.
Did you read Angelfall? That's pretty great as well (or so I think).

message 20: by Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ (last edited Mar 12, 2013 04:29PM) (new) - added it

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Oh believe me, I loved it. I love Karou and her azure hair, her kick-ass traits. I fan-girled a lot on Mik...just not much on Akiva; to me, he was more attractive when the "surprising" moment happened...where? On the roof-top I believe.

And yes, I can't wait for Angelfall!!! :D

Ariana I know, Mik was so funny and cute :)) I am a bit of fan myself here.
As for Akiva, he was kind of serious (too serious), but let's face it: after doing what he's done.. Oh well, I wouldn't be in a better mood either. Poor guy!

But you might like Raffe -the angel from Angelfall- a lot more.. damn he was funny as hell! (no pun intended)

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Yeah..he sounds hot. Does he have black hair with blue eyes? o.O

Ariana Pff, I should check that, I don't remember his looks, but I loved his lines so much ;))

message 24: by Anya (new) - added it

Anya Just based on your review, I think you could write a book. I literally copied and pasted your review into a google drive so I could read it once I (started and) finished the book. Wow. Thank you!!

Jasmin holy shit...
excuse my language
but Gabrielle I just look at some of the books you say you love.
and I sweat those are some that just, have impacted my world..
you should keep posting recommendations..
I'm going to get going on reading those summer ones that you mentioned.. i completely believe your judgement when you say their terrific. I'm excited. :]!

Ariana You can start with Jellicoe Road - such an amazing story :D

Waneeka Husain This was my second dessen book and while I'd thought lock and key was my favourite , I'd say this book also holds a special place in my heart. I fell in love with Wes !

Ariana From Dessen this is my favourite story. I am not sure why, I just loved the characters, the story made me smile, Wes was indeed lovely and I enjoyed the game they played.. Such a sweet book!

message 29: by Kacie (new) - added it

Kacie Idol Great review!

Winter Waldo I got the feels too! I loved Wes, I wanted Macy to develop faster but I know that's not how the book works. It was so frustrating that she didn't see that Wes liked her or about her father--it was destiny!