Dominic's Reviews > Everything That Rises Must Converge: Stories

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor

Apr 10, 2010

bookshelves: classic-literature, short-stories
Read from April 10, 2010 to March 05, 2012

Gruesome, dark, wickedly funny, yet particularly spiritual, these short stories stand as some of the best of the genre. The characters here are across the board pretty revolting and rarely evoke pity (O'Connor despised pity), yet they are wonderful examinations of the ridiculously painful and the painfully ridiculous facts of human existence. These stories are fascinating case studies, and some of them are just perfectly written down to the last word.

The showpiece here is "Greenleaf" (if you read only one O'Connor story, it should be this one) but I also loved "A View of the Woods," "Revelation" and "The Lame Shall Enter First." If you are interested in getting into the shadows of the human heart and see both the ugly and the nasty, these stories will satisfy and leave your mouth agape with wonder and truth.

These stories were not published until after O'Connor's early death, so we do not know if O'Connor would have compiled these stories together (and in this order), but I found it a strong, cohesive collection--one of the strongest short story collections I've ever read.

After my second reading (this time as a teacher), I found myself more personally affected by these bewitching spiritual warnings. A joy to think about and wrestle with!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything That Rises Must Converge.

05/27 marked as: read