Judy D Collins's Reviews > Finding God at the Kitchen Sink: Search for Glory in the Everyday Grime

Finding God at the Kitchen Sink by Maggie Paulus

bookshelves: 2014-releases, netgalley-arc, books-read-in-2014, christian, non-fiction

A special thank you to Moody Publishers and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

FINDING GOD AT THE KITCHEN SINK: Search for Glory in the Everyday Grime by Maggie Paulus is a collection of inspiring and insightful writings, from the heart—to help others seek God in the midst of everyday life—as a mother, father, husband, wife, friend, son, daughter, or co-worker.

When we think God somehow cannot possibly be with us in a bad situation, to allow us go through our nightmares--Maggie leads you through some thought-provoking scripture verses, prayer and ways He speaks to us even through those trying times. Finding God in a broken world –when you lie awake at night worrying, the latest headlines, days when it does not feel God is there and sometimes we do not always understand.

The author uses photos of everyday family life messiness and chaos in a disorderly world to demonstrate how we can seek Him anywhere. Even when a young woman was abused as a child, when no one was there to protect. How does He allow these things to happen?

He can take all the ugly meant to mar us and turn it into something beautiful. Paulus speaks from the heart, as she fights it out with the Maker, and asks hard questions and begs for answers. She urges readers to continue praying to God. We all have doubts—cynicism will come looking for you, to hunt you down.

When we feel insecure and feel we do not measure up, or just wake up and need encouragement, or at the kitchen sink as we scrub away yesterday’s grime, God can speak to us through simple things such as our little boy or girl.

God wants our messy hearts and when we are weighed down and we are depleted. When we are a train wreck and do not have what it takes, God is there for us and aims to give us rest. God speaks to us day and night, even when we are not happy with our children, parents, or husband, or friends.

A special book, as the author recounts the brokenness of her past and the hope she has found. Recommend especially to working wives and mothers, trying to balance work and personal lives, and the overwhelming task. I read the e-book; however, would recommend the beautiful packaged hardcover, as readers will enjoy the photos, and nice to make notes for daily reference.

Grab a quiet place and enjoy this incredible gift as Maggie shares her journey with her readers. (in addition, check out her blog)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding God at the Kitchen Sink.

June 26, 2014 – Shelved