Alyssa's Reviews > Some Girls Are

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

I cried. All night long. It was that impressive.

I decided to fix up this review, because I remember writing it in a fit of an emotional state, and not knowing how to express my love. Upon finishing Some Girls Are, my mind hadn't been able to process much, and somehow all that had been able to come out of me was mediocre explanation and overuse of the word "good". I'm hoping this change-up will redeem myself.

Speaking from experience, and also of what this novel has reminded me, I can say with true seriousness that there is something especially horrifying - yet climatically interesting - about being frozen out of a place of familiarity. Summers takes mean girl, second-in-command Regina Afton and rips apart her life, severs her ties with her best friends/biggest enemies, and throws karma in her face in Some Girls Are. She attacks Regina and the reader with Regina's memories and past decisions, this bringing out guilt and semblance of humanity in Regina, and a shitload of confusion in the reader, because really, is a bully likable, no matter under which circumstances that she was a bully?

This book is one of the more moral-centered in the latest crop of YA releases, but it definitely does morality and humanity without preaching. I respect Summers and what she crafts so much not only for that - which she does in all her novels - but also for her ability to be the teenagers, be their decision-making and feelings. The sobs that wrecked me partway through the book continued as I trudged along, because I could feel, and have felt, exactly what Summers was portraying through her characters.

Regina appears a scared bitch, and then later someone worth pitying, AND then somebody real; Summers stripped the onion of her layers and brought us to a broken girl whose heaviness and soreness was thrice her weight. I have been Regina, and you have been Regina. I have been Michael, and you have been Michael. There's a little bit of everyone in every character presented, as much as you might hate it, and such makes them so real and relatable, what makes this book so meaningful.

The gruesome tortures the Fearsome Five Four created and posed, the hardcore emotions involved, the hate, the love, the bitter, the raw. Grittiness, reality and humanity are blended believably and perfectly in Some Girls Are, a reason in which this is one of my favourite books. I wholeheartedly recommend this novel and all of Summers' others, because I am more than freaking amazed.

Highly recommended, and I dare you not to cry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Are.

Quotes Alyssa Liked

Courtney Summers
“I'm struck by how amazing it is and how sad that makes me, because I've never seen that. He's not like that around me. The way his mouth quirks and lights up his eyes. He should smile more often. It's so innocent.”

Courtney Summers
“I'm not afraid to be alone like you are.”

Courtney Summers
“Write it down today, put it away, make sense of it tomorrow.”

Courtney Summers
“Yeah, totally. I punch myself in the arms a lot. It's a real problem.”

Courtney Summers
“Tell Liz,' I say, 'the mean girl totally got what she deserved in the end.”

Courtney Summers
“You only get to walk variations of the same lines everyone has already drawn for you.”

Courtney Summers
“I wonder if, even after all of this, he understands how fragile good things are in my hands and how many times they've been taken away from me.”

Courtney Summers
“Time passes too quickly when you're getting ready to do something you don't want to do.”

Courtney Summers
“A whole world exists outside of that hellhole.”

Courtney Summers
“I think some girls are just fucked up.”

09/09/2010 page 130
09/09/2010 page 130
51.0% "i cried"
05/28/2011 page 168
69.0% "I'm fucking bawling..." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Emily May Great review Alyssa! I'm currently about half way through and I can not put it down.

Alyssa @Emily - If anything, it's gripping, isn't it?

Cory Courtney Summer's writing is definitely addictive. Even if I don't like some of her books, I read them all the way through.

Emily May Alyssa wrote: "@Emily - If anything, it's gripping, isn't it?"

I just finished it and I only started the book last night... it's so sad and awful but you can't stop reading. 5 stars, definitely.

message 5: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin That was a powerful review. Good job.

Alyssa Thank you, Erin. It's a powerful book.