Louise's Reviews > Angels' Blood

Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Apr 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal-romance, romance, urban-fantasy, vaginal-fantasy
Read on April 19, 2010

I think this is Singh's newer series and a nice change from her Psy-Changling series which I got sick of. Angel's Blood is about Elena, a vampire hunter working for a guild. She mostly hunts vampires who run away from their masters, who just happen to be angels and archangels. Even though by now, the urban fantasy genre is way over-saturated by vampire stories, this one is different enough to be interesting. I always like reading about the various takes on the vampire mythos authors manage to build up in their world.

I did enjoy that for once, the female lead, Elena, wasn't *too* helpless, but it's a bit annoying that even for a strong-ish female character, Singh has to write in an even more strong male character to dominate over her.

Raphael, the archangel who contracts Elena and also ends up being the love interest is typical of Singh's male leads: super alpha, kinda scary, manipulative, devastatingly beautiful, etc. He's pretty formulaic, but I guess if you're happy with her leads, you'll be happy with him.

The story in Angel's Blood isn't a revelation or anything to write home about. You pretty much know how it's going to end up in the beginning. I think this first book mostly serves as a world-building book. There's enough setup for the next books in the series to get me curious enough to start the second one. The characters are all fairly one-dimensional, but what can I say, it's guilty pleasure and a fast, trashy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels' Blood.