Erin Kernohan's Reviews > The Goldfinch

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks

I have no idea how to rate this book. The second and third quarters are a good novel. The first quarter I had a hard time getting into, and the last quarter felt like an essay on all the themes that the author had tried to weave into the story but never really managed to fully integrate. If the first and last quarter were chopped into bite-sized pieces and scattered throughout the book, then I think it might have been perfect.

I really liked Tartt's writing, even though her structure left something to be desired. Pittu's narration in the audio version, all 32.5 hours of it, is very enjoyable. He did start out a bit over emphatic at the beginning, but once more and more characters emerge he really shines. I'd listen to more books voiced by him.

I think in the end I need to separate what I thought of the book itself from my sense of accomplishment for having made it through. 3.5/5 for the book, 5/5 for I can't believe I read the whole thing.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goldfinch.

June 25, 2014 – Started Reading
June 25, 2014 – Shelved
June 25, 2014 –
July 29, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 3, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Erin Kernohan I am listening to the audiobook, and have just popped disc 13 of 26 into the car cd player. It was a bit difficult to get into, at times I felt lost after the narrator would go on a prolonged tangent in the middle of the action. But I am now fully engrossed in the story and am even pulling over to the side of the road to switch discs.