Sakina's Reviews > Some Boys

Some Boys by Patty Blount

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, young-adult, realistic-fiction, captivating, 2014-read, contemporary

Actual rating=2.5

Rape, is a very sensitive and important topic and quite tricky to portray especially in YA books. Some Boys had some really good points but the plot surrounding the main topic, Rape, was something that fell short in the book.

"Some boys go too far. Some boys will break your heart. But one boy can make you whole."

These lines on the cover page of the book indicate romance which runs parallel with the main issue Rape.

Grace is raped by Zac and nobody believes her. Everyone blames her and tells her it's her fault, that she shouldn't dress the way she does and that she deserved what she got.

'The cops wanted to know if I was Zac's girlfriend, if I was drinking, doing drugs, if I ever worked as a stripper, if I ever kissed Zac before that night.

What the hell does any of that have to do with what happened?

Do the laws against sexual assault not apply to strippers? To girlfriends? I don't get that. (...) He thinks because I went to the woods, drank alcohol, and dressed the way I dress, I should have expected this to happen. That I actually wanted this to happen.

The book sheds light on (most)human(s) mentality who immediately blame the girl, the victim! for dressing the way she does or going out late. I mean just because she dresses a certain way or goes out late doesn't mean she is asking for it!!!

Grace is brave, she doesn't run away even when she get's a chance but I would have liked to see Grace getting better without Ian. I don't mind the moral support but the book portrays the romance not as a side-plot but something that mends Grace. There is nothing like therapy or medication or self-help. Just Ivan.

The book is told from both Ivan and Grace's POV's, so we get an insight into both their heads. Ivan is conflicted over his feelings for Grace and confused between whom to believe, Zac-his best friend- or Grace. In the end when the truth comes out, it's more like Ivan's the hero and Grace the damsel that is saved.

I felt that Grace forgave her friends-who called her variety of names and shoved her around- too easily and it was more like Ivan was a cure than anything else, which was not cool. Love can be a PART of a cure not, THE cure.

Overall a good enough, one-time read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Boys.

June 25, 2014 – Shelved