Brigid ✩'s Reviews > Jackaby

Jackaby by William Ritter

For some reason it took me like a month to get through this book, even though it wasn't very long. There was a point where I literally thought I'd finished it even though I hadn't, for some reason ... and I don't think I picked it up for like two weeks. Anyway, I thought this sounded really intriguing and was really excited to get an ARC of it. Ultimately, though, I just found it to be okay. I might've set my expectations too high, because I expected this to be really scary and it didn't scare me that much. It felt like kind of a watered-down version of The Monstrumologist (which is freaking terrifying, in my opinion) and I kept kind of comparing the two books and Jackaby was the one that fell short. There were some things that I really liked about it: I thought Abigail was a likable and interesting narrator (although I just wish that she had done more because it felt like she just kind of stood by and watched everything most of the time). And I liked Jackaby too; he's funny and an intriguing character––although he felt really derivative of Sherlock Holmes to me, but without as much depth. Over all, I thought the idea had a lot of promise, but it could have explored so much more––the characters, the historical setting, the horror, etc. I felt like it was kind of scraping the surface the whole time and I wanted more out of it. But I don't know, maybe there will be a sequel?

I might write a longer review at some point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackaby.

June 25, 2014 – Shelved
June 25, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 5, 2014 – Started Reading
July 5, 2014 –
page 50
16.72% "I was interested in this book because it sounded somewhat Sherlock-esque, but so far I feel like Jackaby is kind of shamelessly based on the BBC Sherlock (the Benedict Cumberbatch one, that is). That is, I feel like it's almost too similar ... ?"
July 18, 2014 –
page 100
July 21, 2014 –
page 238
79.6% "This is creepy and all but I was kind of hoping it would be scarier. :P Also something about the pacing feels kind of off to me ... ? I think it feels like it's just starting but I'm almost at the end ..."
August 1, 2014 –
page 245
81.94% "I literally forgot whether I had finished this or not. Like I just noticed it was still on my "currently-reading" shelf and was like, "Wait ... did I finish that? I think I did. No wait, I didn't..." I think it's partly because I keep reading like five books at once, but also I'm just not very invested in this."
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: arcs
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: ghosts
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: mythology
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: on-my-kindle
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: werewolves
August 6, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Ellen Gail (new)

Ellen Gail I'm intrigued by this one too. It sounds so good! I haven't read The Monstrumologist. It sounds deliciously spooky!

Brigid ✩ Ellen wrote: "I'm intrigued by this one too. It sounds so good! I haven't read The Monstrumologist. It sounds deliciously spooky!"

It's very scary! But a really great book (and series). :)

message 3: by Ellen Gail (new)

Ellen Gail I'll have to check it out! I love a good scare.

Brigid ✩ Awesome! I highly recommend it, then. ;)

message 5: by Roberta (new) - added it

Roberta sounds really good. I have to check it out

Vanessa J. :/ Now I will keep comparing Jackaby to The Monstrumologist, and I'm not gonna enjoy it because nothing will ever oustand The Monstrumologist, in my opinion...

But I will read it anyway, it sounds interesting...

Brigid ✩ That's what happened to me ... It's a similar concept so I had trouble not comparing them. And I love The Monstrumologist, so my expectations were pretty high. I thought this book was good, but it just wasn't as scary/compelling as I'd been hoping it would be. It had a lot of potential but I don't think it quite lived up to it.

message 8: by Vanessa (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vanessa J. You were right. I couldn't help but compare this book with The Monstrumologist, and my love for that series is so ridiculously high that I had pretty high expectations for this. I thought this book was a bit meh for me. Hopefully the sequel will be better. The good thing is I won't be expecting any of Mr. Yancey's genius in the next book.

Brigid ✩ Vane wrote: "You were right. I couldn't help but compare this book with The Monstrumologist, and my love for that series is so ridiculously high that I had pretty high expectations for this. I thought this book..."

It's hard not to make the comparison––and yeah this one wasn't as compelling as the Monstrumologist books. I also had really high expectations for this book but I thought it was just okay in the end.