Julie Ehlers's Reviews > Moranthology

Moranthology by Caitlin Moran

2120450

liked it
bookshelves: essay-collections, feminism-and-gender

This collection of essays from The Times of London was a mixed bag. Columns featuring her trademark "strident" feminism? Yes, please. Profiles of Keith Richards, Paul McCartney, Lady Gaga? Sure, I'm down for that. A lengthy accounting of the royal wedding, punctuated by numerous tweets from British celebrities I'd never heard of? No thanks. Reviews of Dr. Who, Downton Abbey, and Sherlock, none of which I'd ever seen? Yawn. (Although that Sherlock sounds pretty good. Added to Netflix queue.) And while I'm sure there was a way to write about Michael Jackson's memorial service that wouldn't seem dated years later, Caitlin's column sure wasn't it.

This book also had many, many mistakes of the typo/punctuation/grammar variety. (The most egregious? A column that used the word "serious" instead of "series"--all the way through.) I know newspapers are less concerned about copyediting issues than ever before, and that the British have always been a bit more lax about such things anyway, but I wish someone at HarperCollins had just gone through this book and fixed the most obvious mistakes--they were honestly quite distracting.

So what's the reason to read this book? Well, these days Caitlin seems focused on producing TV shows, so who knows when her next book--a sequel to How to Build a Girl--will even be released? If you're like me and find yourself in the mood for more of Caitlin's writing, this book is basically the last resort, and that's how it should be approached.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moranthology.

June 25, 2014 – Shelved
June 25, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 18, 2015 – Started Reading
September 18, 2015 –
page 5
1.95% "I feel the need for some Caitlin Moran this weekend."
September 20, 2015 –
page 101
September 21, 2015 –
page 202
September 21, 2015 – Shelved as: essay-collections
September 21, 2015 – Shelved as: feminism-and-gender
September 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Julie Ehlers Meghan wrote: "Sherlock is, really, delightful."

Thanks for the endorsement. :) I'm planning to watch a couple episodes this weekend.

message 2: by Snotchocheez (new)

Snotchocheez I don't think I read this review before. It's great! (but bummed you didn't like it more) (and bummed I can't "like" your review from this app. It's a terrible design flaw and, for a site that basically requires your review to be "liked" to get read out from your circle of friends, an almost intolerable flaw).

Julie Ehlers Snotchocheez wrote: "Anywhoozle, just read that they're adapting How to Build a Girl for the big screen! Just read it on imdb! Yay! (Did you know this? If so, do you know who they're casting for Johanna? Inquiring minds want to know!!!)"

I did not know this! I know they made a British TV series based on it and it looked like a hoot, but was cancelled after only one or two seasons. When I saw Caitlin give a reading last year she claimed How to Build a Girl was the first book in a planned trilogy, so really I'm most eager for her to get to work on the other two books.

Thanks for your kind words about my review. I was a little disappointed to learn that her newest book is another collection of columns, but hopefully they're a little less dated than these.

message 4: by Snotchocheez (new)

Snotchocheez Well, heck. Now I dunno. I just excited when i saw.it on imdb (with a 2017 date on it, but literally nothing else except writing credits). I did see a Guardian article dated late 2014 announcing a movie to be released, but it was skimpy on details and really only discussed the plot of the book. Feh. Nevermind me.

Julie Ehlers Snotchocheez wrote: "Well, heck. Now I dunno. I just excited when i saw.it on imdb (with a 2017 date on it, but literally nothing else except writing credits). I did see a Guardian article dated late 2014 announcing a ..."

A movie would be great if it was done right. Here's hoping it really does happen.