Lisa's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

“Once she remembered trying to box her own ears for having cheated herself in a game of croquet she was playing against herself, for this curious child was very fond of pretending to be two people.”

If I ever had to choose to be another literary person than my beloved soulmate Don Quixote, it would have to be Alice in Wonderland. Why would I need to be another character than the one and only Don? Well, it is good to have a backup if you are asked to come to a masquerade as a favourite book character (a not completely unlikely risk and side effect of my profession), and you realise that your blonde hair and the emphasis on blue dresses in your wardrobe makes that a much more natural choice than the Medieval male dresscode of La Mancha.

On the other hand, Alice is a perfect complement to the Don in many ways. While he sets out to give the ordinary world some magic, she dives into Wonderland to make it sparkle with her common sense approach to madness. A perfect pair, those two characters.

In times like these, they are needed more than ever, to fight the windmills or Jabberwockys of modern craziness. As coffee is a means of survival to me, and I like the idea of drinking it out of a mug featuring an illustration of a famous tea party - as nonsensical as most, but more fun - I once went to London and bought myself a Mad Hatter mug, the handle nicely formed like one of those keys Alice had such trouble with. The quote on the back of the mug has helped me (along with the caffeine and a sense of humour as dark as my no-milk-and-no-sugar coffee) survive many a lesson with teenagers:

"If you knew Time as well as I do,’ said the Hatter, ‘you wouldn’t talk about wasting it."

I know for a fact that this book can be reread as many times as needed to figure out your own identity and level of madness, without any waste of time whatsoever:

“Who am I then? Tell me that first, and then, if I like being that person, I'll come up; if not, I'll stay down here till I'm someone else.”

I can almost give the same promise that Milo got in The Phantom Tollbooth:

"RESULTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED, BUT IF NOT PERFECTLY SATISFIED, YOUR WASTED TIME WILL BE REFUNDED."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.

Finished Reading
June 25, 2014 – Shelved
June 26, 2014 – Shelved as: children
April 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 1001-books-to-read-before-you-die
April 12, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
April 12, 2017 – Shelved as: monster-mash-of-a-mess
April 12, 2017 – Shelved as: read-aloud-in-the-library

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

message 1: by Kalliope (new) - added it

Kalliope Alice and Quijote... what would Sancho say? would he be jealous?

message 2: by PirateSteve (new)

PirateSteve Alice and Quixote make for a fitting pair.

But a pairing between Sancho and the Hatter... ah, the conversations they would have. Wonderland would be shaken.

Tis a fun review ye ave here.

Lisa Jean-Paul wrote: "One of my all-time favourites, Lisa, and should you ever become Alice, I would be the one to invite you to a tea party with my other friends the Dormouse and the March Hare. :-)"

And what a fun tea party that would be. I like my tea with lots of coffee and no sugar, milk or tea, please!

Lisa Kalliope wrote: "Alice and Quijote... what would Sancho say? would he be jealous?"

I kind of imagine Sancho would get along with Alice. They would roll their eyes at it all and eat and drink whatever's on offer. It's the Queen of Hearts against Quixote I would worry about :-)

Lisa PirateSteve wrote: "Alice and Quixote make for a fitting pair.

Tis a fun review ye ave here."

That's almost an idea for a perfect sequel! Question is: to which story? Alice's or Quixote's?

message 6: by Sasha (new)

Sasha yeah Kalliope you are cool man

Lisa Alina Mironyuk wrote: "yeah Kalliope you are cool man"

Being the muse of epic poetry and eloquence, that is Kalliope's trade!

message 8: by Dolors (new)

Dolors I got a Nick Bottom mug that delivers a fairly similar message... a toast to madness sprouting from minds like Shakespeare's or Carroll's...

Lisa Dolors wrote: "I got a Nick Bottom mug that delivers a fairly similar message... a toast to madness sprouting from minds like Shakespeare's or Carroll's..."

Oh yes. Coffee tastes much better in a mug filled with madness!

message 10: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala Who am I then? Tell me that first, and then, if I like being that person, I'll come up; if not, I'll stay down here till I'm someone else.

Twice recently, people have left comments on reviews of mine addressing me as 'Lisa'. I'm sure I'm not Lisa, for her hair is blonde and she wears such a lot of blue dresses. I'm sure I'm not Kalliope either though I suspect some people think she is Lisa. Oh dear, how puzzling it all is!

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Fionnuala wrote: "Who am I then? Tell me that first, and then, if I like being that person, I'll come up; if not, I'll stay down here till I'm someone else.

Twice recently, people have left comments on reviews of m..."

I think it has to do with a certain Fiokallisian (non)sense of humour, which frequently means inventing new words for old things and using old names in a new context... After all, Alice is in the Middle of Fiokalician... But that does not necessarily means she knows where that is. A wondrous mix-up.

message 12: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala Hah! Yes! Alice was very good at inventing new words for old...
How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale!
How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Lada Fleur wrote: "Alice and Don Quixote both went to the other side of the mirror peopled with reflections"

Yes, that is a poetic way of putting it!

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Fionnuala wrote: "Hah! Yes! Alice was very good at inventing new words for old...
How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale!
How cheerfully he ..."

I just love those "gently smiling jaws"!

message 15: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala And when you read the original, Alice's version is so naughty
How doth the little busy bee
Improve each shining hour,
And gather honey all the day
From every opening flower!
How skilfully she builds her cell!
How neat she spreads the wax!
And labors hard to store it well
With the sweet food she makes.
In works of labor or of skill,
I would be busy too;
For Satan finds some mischief still
For idle hands to do.
In books, or work, or healthful play,
Let my first years be passed,
That I may give for every day
Some good account at last.

It is really such a good parody!

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Fionnuala wrote: "And when you read the original, Alice's version is so naughty
How doth the little busy bee
Improve each shining hour,
And gather honey all the day
From every opening flower!
How skilfully she build..."

Hahaha - I just shared this with my daughter and we had such a good laugh at the two versions! She's reading Alice at the moment - a humour-defining event.

Nicola I can't remember a time when I didn't love Alice. Like Winnie the Pooh, it was a book I just grew up on.

Cecily What an enjoyable review, and I now have a happy mashup in my mind of DQ in Wonderland. If that mashup hasn't been written yet, maybe you should do it?

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Cecily wrote: "What an enjoyable review, and I now have a happy mashup in my mind of DQ in Wonderland. If that mashup hasn't been written yet, maybe you should do it?"

I'll invite them to tea and see what they say :-) Just not sure what to wear...

Cecily A blue dress, an apron with embroidered windmills, and a basin on your head?
;)

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Cecily wrote: "A blue dress, an apron with embroidered windmills, and a basin on your head?
;)"

Hahaha - that is absolutely perfect!

message 22: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Wonderful review!!! Love it!

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Deanna wrote: "Wonderful review!!! Love it!"

Thank you so much, Deanna.

message 24: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Fabulous review, Lisa!

message 25: by MihaElla (new)

MihaElla Everything is unforgettable about this book! The same I feel about your review, Lisa. You are truly gifted :-)

message 26: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Lisa!"

Thank you, Jaline!

message 27: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Mihaella wrote: "Everything is unforgettable about this book! The same I feel about your review, Lisa. You are truly gifted :-)"

Thank you for your kind words, Mihaella!

message 28: by MihaElla (new)

MihaElla Lisa wrote: "Mihaella wrote: "Everything is unforgettable about this book! The same I feel about your review, Lisa. You are truly gifted :-)"

Thank you for your kind words, Mihaella!"

Lisa, IF you don't know it yet, I'm your eternal 'fresh' student :))

message 29: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Mihaella wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Mihaella wrote: "Everything is unforgettable about this book! The same I feel about your review, Lisa. You are truly gifted :-)"

Thank you for your kind words, Mihaella!"

Lisa, IF yo..."

Couldn't be happier, Mihaella!

M Beck really good book