Lisa's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
32532774
's review

really liked it
bookshelves: 1001-books-to-read-before-you-die, favorites

"I love reading", says a 15-year-old girl in class today.

This is so unusual that I smile like a maniac.

"Really? I am so glad to hear that. What are you reading at the moment?"

"Jane Eyre, and it is very hard to understand, but I am 100 pages into it now, and I think it is great!"

"Jane Eyre? Jane Eyre?"

I feel like a young woman who thought she was dedicated to an old, grumpy, blind man and realises there is a vital, young Mr Rochester waiting to be adored again and again underneath the surface.

Can this be true? Is a classic a classic a classic? Can an idealist school librarian go home and keep the faith in Reader Heaven for once?

Yes!

As long as young readers find the time and the space and the leisure and the pleasure of reading about the trials of Jane Eyre, there is a place for us faithful guardians of bookish love.

When I came home, I found my own copy of Jane Eyre on my daughter's bed. She finds it hard, but good.

"When you make it through the first 100 pages, you will love it", I say confidently. "A student of mine told me so!"

"And since when do you listen to your students, mum?"

"Since they make perfect sense!"
177 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

Finished Reading
June 25, 2014 – Shelved
August 9, 2014 – Shelved as: 1001-books-to-read-before-you-die
January 9, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Netta (new)

Netta I was exactly like your student, reading Jane Eyre when I was 12 or somethng - it felt great though I couldn't explain why. If I recall correctly, Jane is the last (or one of the last) female characters that I read about and didn't feel suspicious.


Patty <3


Steffi 🤗


Lisa Netta wrote: "I was exactly like your student, reading Jane Eyre when I was 12 or somethng - it felt great though I couldn't explain why. If I recall correctly, Jane is the last (or one of the last) female chara..."

Oh, that innocent book love!


message 5: by Netta (new)

Netta Oh indeed. Good ol’ days!


Caterina Made my day! :)


Lisa Caterina wrote: "Made my day! :)"

Thanks, Caterina!


Laysee Music to my ears! Thank you, Lisa, for sharing and for nurturing in the young a bookish kind of love.


message 9: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala Ah, the joys of revisiting a book in our minds—when enough time has passed to allow us to be enthralled anew!


message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Laysee wrote: "Music to my ears! Thank you, Lisa, for sharing and for nurturing in the young a bookish kind of love."

We have to pass the torch to the next generation!


Tracey This brought a tear of joy and the feeling that 'hope springs eternal' is once more rekindled. :) Thank you for sharing Lisa.


Monika Ha! Just yesterday one of my students (16 y.o.) asked for my opinion about Jane Eyre and said she wants to read it! Hallelujah! Looks like the human race has some chance.


message 13: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Wonderful review and comments!


message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Fionnuala wrote: "Ah, the joys of revisiting a book in our minds—when enough time has passed to allow us to be enthralled anew!"

That is exactly what I felt as well, Fionnuala!


message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Tracey wrote: "This brought a tear of joy and the feeling that 'hope springs eternal' is once more rekindled. :) Thank you for sharing Lisa."

Thank you, Tracey! I think we all need this reassurance every once in a while.


message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Monika wrote: "Ha! Just yesterday one of my students (16 y.o.) asked for my opinion about Jane Eyre and said she wants to read it! Hallelujah! Looks like the human race has some chance."

Jane Eyre is in the Air :-)


message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Jess wrote: "Wonderful review and comments!"

Thanks!


Dolors Oh my, that student of yours reminded me of my first reading of JE. I owe my love for classics to this novel, which I also discovered at the age of 15! Being a professor is not so bad eh?


Pamela Amatucci Well said. Well written. Love this.
Also, Thandie Newton recorded Jane Eyre on audiobook and it's absolutely incredible. I stumbled across it a couple of years ago, A perfect introduction to Jane Eyre for students, I think.


message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Dolors wrote: "Oh my, that student of yours reminded me of my first reading of JE. I owe my love for classics to this novel, which I also discovered at the age of 15! Being a professor is not so bad eh?"

No, not ao bad at all. At least you get to feel you're alive on the teacher rollercoaster.


Cecily Deep joy!


message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Pamela wrote: "Well said. Well written. Love this.
Also, Thandie Newton recorded Jane Eyre on audiobook and it's absolutely incredible. I stumbled across it a couple of years ago, A perfect introduction to Jane ..."


I may try that actually, as my eyes are always tired in the evening. A good audiobook with a cup of tea is the perfect relaxation.


message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Cecily wrote: "Deep joy!"

:-)


Cirtnecce Lisa, you do not know me, but as a book lover and someone dedicated to to words, this just made my day!


message 25: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Cirtnecce wrote: "Lisa, you do not know me, but as a book lover and someone dedicated to to words, this just made my day!"

I am happy to hear that, Cirtnecce!


message 26: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L F Oh the joy of reading. I have 6 Grandchildren who I have been encouraging to read since they were toddlers. I feel so fulfilled when a new reader takes their place in our family of readers.


message 27: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa L wrote: "Oh the joy of reading. I have 6 Grandchildren who I have been encouraging to read since they were toddlers. I feel so fulfilled when a new reader takes their place in our family of readers."

Me too, L! Another one for the community.


message 28: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L F 👍


back to top