Natalie's Reviews > Adventures in Kate Bush and Theory

Adventures in Kate Bush and Theory by Deborah M. Withers

Apr 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: elevate-difference, i-blame-the-patriarchy, kick-out-the-jams, read-in-2010, everyones-a-critic, female-pen
Read in May, 2010

Since the late 1970s, Kate Bush has been the original weirdchik in modern female pop music—press- and tour-shy, highly literate and culturally aware, witchy and Catholic, English and Eastern, masculine and high-femme. Above all, Kate has that voice, which she debuted at age nineteen with her song 'Wuthering Heights,' an eerie tale told from the point of view of Catherine Earnshaw's ghost. If there had been no Kate Bush, there would have been no Tori Amos, and most likely no PJ Harvey or Bjork either. Deborah M. Withers is unsurprisingly a big fan of Kate's body of work as well as a self-identified queer woman and academic who draws on Kate's music and the gender theories of Judith Butler, Helene Cixous, Luce Irigaray, Adriana Cavarero, and Donna Haraway to present feminist and queer interpretations of Kate Bush albums.

Read the rest at Feminist Review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adventures in Kate Bush and Theory.

message 1: by David (new)

David I love Kate Bush... but wow... this book sounds fairly horrific.

Deborah M. Withers needs a hobby.

Natalie Maybe this is her hobby. :)

I'm reading it as an assignment for a review site I write for. I'm actually looking forward to it.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg I haven't listened to Kate Bush, but know I would love her. Even so, this book makes my mouth water. I will listen to Kate Bush just so I can read this book.

Natalie You'd love Kate Bush. Without Kate, there'd be no Tori Amos.

message 5: by Devowasright (new)

Devowasright i'd read about this book, and am very curious to read your thoughts on it when you've finished it. :)

Natalie I'm about 40 or 50 pages in... it's a lot of intellectualizing and mostly queer/feminist theory, but I eat up that kind of stuff. :)