Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

The Allow of Law is a wonderful example of how serendipitous it can occasionally be to put off reading a book.

To explain: this was released back in 2011. My copy sat on my shelf since early last year before I got to it. Part of what made me finally finish reading the original trilogy, as well as Alloy, was the announcement of the next two Wax and Wayne books being released in October 2015 and January 2016, respectively. "Huh," thinks I, "maybe it's worth getting off my ass and finishing this here fantasy series that everyone says is really good."

So I did. I powered through The Well of Ascension and knuckled through The Hero of Ages (preferring the former over the latter, to be honest) over the first half of this year. Great trilogy, satisfying ending.

Then I come to Alloy. A fantasy western, set in a universe I've just spent three books getting to know quite well, with a much leaner length and two sequels on the way. "Sounds good," thinks I.

Well, as it turns out, "good" doesn't begin to cut it. The Alloy of Law was amazing. From the expertly-composed characters, thrilling (and I hate using that word) plot, excellent dialogue and creative use of established magic systems, it was an awesome experience across the board. Not an inch or a page of the book feels wasted, which was especially gratifying after coming off the slight padding I felt during The Hero of Ages. The story wraps up with enough dangling sequel hooks to make me want the next one, too.

That last point relates to what I said at the start about serendipity in not reading it until now. For those who've read the original trilogy, there's a fairly massive plot hook that meshes well with one that's generated by the new setting. It made me want the next one, like, now.

So I'm glad I only have to wait a few months for the next book, Shadows of Self, rather than 4 years. Coz man, that would've sucked.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alloy of Law.

June 25, 2014 – Shelved