LeeAnne's Reviews > I Am Pilgrim

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

did not like it
bookshelves: mystery-thrills-suspense

Everyone loves this book but me.

I am flabberghasted by all of the gushing, rave reviews of this book! (?)

I Am Pilgrim
Summary:
A Jason Bourne-like super spy must stop a genius jihadist planning a pandemic by unleashing a potent strain of smallpox which will kill off most of the population in the United States.

My thoughts:
This book is a long-winded string of action spy movie cliches. It lacks momentum. There are many unbelievable coincidences and plot twists. There are endless backstories and side stories that meander all over the place. The dialogue is so silly, it sounds as if it was written by a 12-yr-old boy who has watched every 007 James Bond movie ever made a million times. Oh, and even though our super-spy is in a race against time to try and save the world, he still has time to swing by NYC and look into a crime scene to help a detective solve a murder mystery. (eye roll)

MGM is already adapting this book into a film. Go figure. O_o

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Pilgrim.

June 24, 2014 – Shelved
July 14, 2014 – Started Reading
July 21, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

message 1: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie How is this one LeeAnne?

LeeAnne I am astounded, confused and mortified by the gushing reviews of this book!!!

I am only continuing to listen to it on audio because I am trapped in a car all day driving home from the beach. UGH. O.o.

message 3: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie I have seen great reviews for this one also. Sorry you aren't enjoying it.

LeeAnne Me too! In fact 99.9% of the reviews are 5 stars and full of gushing. Am I reading the same book? I'm so confused.

message 5: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Pass. I'm not even going to wait for the movie. It sounds like dreck.

LeeAnne Caroline, I am the only person who did not love that book, so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Oops! I'm going to pass too. Thanks for the heads up. :)

message 8: by Sera (new)

Sera Soooo agree! My family made me feel like I was just being superior & negative.....at least I'm not the only one! Gave up at the 400 page mark - so unreal I didn't care about any of it, predicable & Trevanian-esque - fun in the 70's but now soo dated! Thanx

LeeAnne Thanks Sera! I don't get it either. I am still flabberghasted. What the heck are people smoking when they read this book? O_o

message 10: by Sera (new)

Sera So true! At least I feel vindicated now. The other "gusher" I hated was Gone Girl - predictable rubbish with shallow characters.....life's too short to persevere with crap books!:}

LeeAnne I agree. Why force yourself to struggle through a book you hate? Unless you are reading a book required for school or work, if you don't like it, discard it and move on to your next choice. Reading for pleasure is supposed should be enjoyable, not a chore.

Holly LeeAnn, I felt the same way for a majority of the book, it drug along and I found the flashbacks all very clunky and awkward. I persevered and finished the book, as it did have some gold nuggets to it.After reading the Author's Bio it is no surprise to me that it's going to film, he's been in the biz for years.

LeeAnne Holly, that's interesting. Maybe the movie will be better than the book?

Holly We can certainly hope so! At one point, I thought classifying it as a thriller was a bit of a stretch. After finding out that he's been a screen writer for years, I suspect that he wrote this with an eye towards the big picture and perhaps that is why it's a bit discordant at times to read. Most likely he was visualizing the scenes as they would play out on the screen.

message 15: by LeeAnne (last edited Aug 23, 2014 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

LeeAnne I don't know anything about movie scripts or what goes into writing them but I think this might need some serious revising and refining before it becomes a movie I would want to see.

message 16: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean Yeah....I'm on page 740 and it's pretty bad. I may finish it but dammit I picked this book up after seeing all the good reviews! I wish I'd read yours first.

LeeAnne Sorry to hear that Sean. My condolences. I did the same thing. What are the gushing fans of this book smoking???? O.o

Claudia Putnam On top of being the perfect spy in terms of spy cliches, he's PSYCHIC too...

LeeAnne Oh, I missed that one. Thanks Claudia!

Claudia Putnam Doesn't it seem incredibly stupid of this supposed genius terrorist to unleash SMALLPOX on the US. Like it would be contained.

message 21: by Sera (new)

Sera Kinda made made skin crawl! I could see Tom Cruise buying it & starring too natch! Not my scene -very 70,s macho spy & not in a good way!

message 22: by Sera (new)

message 23: by Mays (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mays Alkhudari Thank you LeeAnn! i hated the book as well! totally overrated

message 24: by Donnac (new) - added it

Donnac I too got sucked in by the rave reviews. Not my usual 'go to' genre but i figured a good holiday read maybe? But no, its just sooo overdone. To me it brings to mind a Modern Family episode where Jay decides to write a book and its just rubbish. Well this is how i imagine Jay's book would've turned out. I've given in and shelved it.

message 25: by Donnac (new) - added it

LeeAnne Thanks everyone. It's nice to know there are others out there who also hated it!

message 27: by Andy (new)

Andy Glad I swerved it now....!

message 28: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee I'm not sure I hate but I am struggling with it. It's nice to see im not the only one who isn't gushing over it. I thought there was something wrong with me there for a while lol

LeeAnne Lee wrote: "I'm not sure I hate but I am struggling with it. It's nice to see im not the only one who isn't gushing over it. I thought there was something wrong with me there for a while lol"

No, it's not just you!!! lol!

Sharon Johnny English is exactly what it reminded me of too :D Only with Tom Cruise in the lead taking himself very, very seriously. ;-)

LeeAnne HAHA! That's even better, Sharon!

message 32: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Lol that describes it perfectly!!!

message 33: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Lol that describes it perfectly!!!

Yawar Pilgrim was at the Eastside Inn before he was pulled in and tasked with finding the Saracen, so there was no 'race against time' at that point.

Arnoud Spot on.

message 36: by Colette (new)

Colette Connors Think Raymond Chandler when listening to some of his dialogue .

Migprud Hi LeeAnn, just a quick note to let you know that you are certainly not the only person in the world that did not like this book. Yours truly simply hated it. This is one of the worst books I have read in a long time. It is pure US propaganda, laced with racism and xenophobia all over. The main character is a pretentious twat who, like Hayes himself I suspect, thinks he is oh-so-good but is just a egomaniac fool. The whole thing is written under the assumption that the US are always righteous, whereas everybody else (Europeans, Arabs, whatever) is mean, ignorant and backwards. This is rich, coming from a nation that just elected Trump president (with Mr Hayes vote, I suspect). I rarely force myself to read a book I don't like until the end, but I did it this time, much to my regret. The book is increasingly sickening as Pilgrim, makes his way through all those evil characters (i.e., everyone who is not American) in order to save the world. The pace is slow, the plot is boring, and the attempt at delivering scientific details is laughable in its inaccuracy, as anyone with a basic notion of biology will tell you. Overall, a poor excuse for a book, unless you can be satisfied with a simplistic view of the world and enjoy sickeningly pretentious main characters.

message 38: by Neil (new)

Neil Gardiner Great review. The book is totally unbelievable on all levels and 300 pages too long. Won't be reading any more by this author. I was on holiday and didn't even leave it in the hotel library. Just junked it.

message 39: by William (new) - added it

William Thank you for saving me from this book.

message 40: by Lesmw (new)

Lesmw Yes, thank too for letting me have time to read books I’m enjoying. Haven’t liked the first few chapters and it sounds as if it gets worse so I feel quite relieved that I’ve decided to stop reading this.

Jeanette Eriksson its so smart, its so well written, its one of the best books, for a long time, BUT, you got to read the hole book to get it. Its so intelligent written, the story is so so smart genious planned and built. its very few that can do a story like this.!

Niaouli I dislike this book too. Got half way through and took it to the charity shop. Utter tripe that made no sense.

Nicole Curtis YES! Exactly this!