Bev Walkling's Reviews > A Woman of Honour

A Woman of Honour by Marlow Kelly

bookshelves: action, free-book-from-author, set-in-scotland

I was very pleased to receive an advanced copy of Woman of Honour from Marlow Kelly to read and review. The cover was very appealing and it was set in Scotland which is always of interest to me. It definitely drew me in right away and was fast paced and well written. Woman of Honour is a novella so it is a fairly quick read.

The story opens with our hero (Duncan Cameron) and heroine sharing a dark dungeon of Dunstaffnage Castle and completely unable to see each other or tell what the other individual looks like. In fact, their acquaintance begins with a fight as neither knows who the other is or whether they can be trusted. When the dust settles, Duncan discovers that the unknown woman he has fought with has been dressed as a boy and has plans to enter a convent. Isabel, (our heroine) does her best to ease Duncan’s headache caused by a head injury and in doing so makes herself more and more appealing to Duncan.

How they escape from their captors and make their way to safety involves lots of twists, turns and surprises. This was a fun read with likeable characters . For those wondering at the spelling of “Honour” in the title, Marlow is Canadian and that’s how we spell honour here.

Although I found the cover very appealing, I’m not really sure that the artist fully understood what Isabel looked like. The cover girl is quite buxom and even with strapping would have had a hard time passing for a boy. I think this is a great job for a debut story and would recommend it to all who enjoy a sweet innocent romance set in the Scotland of yesteryears.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman of Honour.

Started Reading