Christopher Lawson's Reviews > Muddy Max: The Mystery of Marsh Creek

Muddy Max by Elizabeth Rusch

√ Good, Dirty Fun!

This is a wonderful, delightful book for kids about having a lot of fun with MUD. The story is funny, and I really loved the color artwork. We know we are in for a strange day when a "mud creature" taps on our window and beckons Max out. (At least, I think it's a mud creature.) Max's parents have a right to be concerned, and Max thinks they deploy a "Mud-o-Meter" to warn them when Max is close to mud. They warn Max about "not one speck of mud," and admonish him to even "avoid muddy lawns."

Well, in Part 1, "The Problem with Mud," you can guess what happens next, as Max and his friend do some investigating. But hey, just have your friend hose you down with the garden house, and your parents will be nary the wiser! New mud adventures are in story in Part 2, "The Marvels of Mud," and Part 3, "Stuck in the Mud." Fun graphics all around; it just seems like mud seems to be attracted to Max--even all over his head. When Max contracts a strange measles-like rash, he heads to the library for some internet research. That's where he and his buddy discover all the living organisms in the mud. My favorite was the note about "Animal Carcasses" and "Dung" in the mud. At that point, Max realizes what he's been doing, "Aagh... I had DUNG in my mouth?"

Well, you get the picture. Lots of fun messy adventures for Max and his friend. After Part 3 ends, with lots of mud on everyone, the fun really beings, starting with the section, "What's in the Mud?" It turns out, that the mud REALLY DOES have all those "interesting" things in, including earthworm poop! Wow, just what I was hoping for! There's also a variety of different insects, plus the added bonus of SLIME MOLDS--in a variety of flavors! Yea!

Seriously, these latter sections really are excellent, even if they do have slime molds. Besides the contents of the mud, we see,
Soil Close Up
Made Some Mud
Breathing and Creatures
About Antoni Gaudi
Make Your Own Mud House
Ancient and Modern Mud Houses
Mud Bricks
Get the Mud Out!
Age Your Face (your mom will love this one)

Reading Suggestion: On my Kindle, I lose the color, which would be a crying shame with these great graphics, so I recommend reading on a color tablet, or of course, a hard copy.

√ A lot of fun! The author, Elizabeth Rusch, and illustrator, Mike Lawrence, have really done a superb job in MUDDY MAX. This is one FUN book! I'm going to start building those mud bricks as soon as I got off work. Highly Recommend!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Muddy Max.