Nicole's Reviews > The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

Jun 24, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley, read-in-2014

** spoiler alert ** God, I don't even know where to begin with this book.

Let's start with some facts:
* NetGalley gave me the opportunity to read this book - thanks for that!
* I'm a rabid fan of time travel/life-after-life type books.
* This cover is pretty rad.

Strictly speaking, this book is not about time travel. It is a play on The Eternal Return, wherein the protagonist repeats the same life over and over again. He's not alone, though, and there is an entire race of these repeaters called kalachakra or ouroborans. They meet up and take care of their own, which seems fair, and they get multiple lives with which to explore, better themselves, etc.

All is well and all is good (though tragically boring) until Harry, laying on one of his deathbeds, is visited by a young child who whispers to him of the hastening of the end of the world. It must be stopped, and somehow Harry is the one to do it. (He is The Special?)

Thus begins the journey of Harry to find why the world is ending, who's behind it, and the best way to go about infiltrating the process.

Holy crap this book was a violent exercise in stamina, endurance, and honoring commitment even when I . DID . NOT . WANT . TO . CONTINUE. So many times, so many times, so many times I promised myself I'd quit in 2 chapters. "If it stays this boring," I said, "this book will be a DNF." But then it got a little better and I got a little bit of a second (or third or fourth or two-hundredth) wind.

I'd say a good 50% of this book was boring because it was wordy, filler, meandering, pointless, without focus. I fully believe the author had an outline, and each point of the outline was amazing and interesting, but you can't write a book of just an outline, and so she filled it in. The filler, however, just didn't do the story justice.

The book picks up pace around 80% and sustains to the end where, unfortunately, the ending left me with some ??? above my head.

- What if Vincent just made it up?
- What the hell compelled him to give such identifying details?
- What is the magic that makes aborted kalachakra never exist again, but when the dude ended the world prematurely in nuclear war, it just reset everyone?

The political details in the middle were rough and extra-boring.
The environmental warning was cute.

I liked approximately 25% of this book. The story is cool, but the writing was too tedious, the plotline too meandering, and the register of it too high (probably a difference between British English and US English) to really recommend it.

Fun fact: Reading this out loud in a (probably really terrible) British accent was what got me through the times I wanted to throw this book into a raging inferno. So there's that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

June 24, 2014 – Started Reading
June 24, 2014 – Shelved
July 9, 2014 –
58.0% "God help me this book is so dry. I keep getting brief pulses of high-interest which push me along a couple of chapters, and then bam, back to struggling to read a single page. I want to love this book. I am trying."
July 13, 2014 –
90.0% "Okay, I've made some serious progress and am enjoying this a lot now. Glad I persevered!"
July 13, 2014 – Finished Reading