Harley's Reviews > Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative

Kingdom Come by Sam Storms

I would describe this book more as a critique of pre-millennialism and dispensationalism, and a good one too. In fact, it is because of this, that I would describe amillennialism as being a negative eschatology. Not negative in an emotional sense (although that could be said too), but rather negative in the sense that amillennialism appears to be that which the other positions are not. The other two main positions (pre-millennialism and post-millennialism) are positive in their assertions as to what they believe. Amillennialism seems to be more or less the vacuum which is produced when the assertions of the other two positions are rejected. It is as though the amillennialist says, "Well I don't believe in this (pre), and I don't believe in that (post), so what I'm left with is the other (a).

I think my favourite chapter of the book is the one on post-millennialism. I would even point to that chapter as a good defence of post-milleniallism. Reading that chapter leads me to conclude that Storms is like all amillennialists: an agnostic post-millennialist. He writes: "I want to believe that postmillennialism is true. The notion of a progressive and ultimate triumph of the gospel within history itself such that when Jesus returns he finds a truly Christianized cosmos is profoundly appealing. But as of the publication of this book, I am not yet convinced. I remain an amillennialist." (page 384)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kingdom Come.

June 24, 2014 – Shelved