Naomi's Reviews > Intensity

Intensity by Dean Koontz

Nov 30, 2007

it was ok
Recommended for: lovers of blood and gore and scariness
Read in November, 2007

This book is well written, I'm sure. From the moment I started reading it I felt sick to my stomach from the overly detailed homicidal and torturous events, but also I could not stop reading it because the author held a small hope of the heroine doing some lasting good by helping the 16-year-old girl who was locked in this crazy bastard's basement. And of course getting herself out of this situation in which the reader found her.

I am glad I finished it. But I'm not going to hurry to read another Koontz book. He even dedicated this gorefest of a novel to his mother!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intensity.

04/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Naomi...I agree with you on this book. I felt the same way, and finished it for the same reason. Luckily, it was not my first Koontz book, so I know his others are not the same. Try Odd Thomas. Much, much better story, much less sickening.

Brandon Rucker You do realize that to elevate the goodness of the heroine that the author has to intensify the evil of the villain, right? It's a balance. There is no glow without shade. No bright light without pitch darkness.

message 3: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth I realize that...but with the pitch darkness of this guy, she should have been blinding in her radiance. And she wasn't. Many other books have achieved that goal without sickening me.

Brandon Rucker Considering the altruistic nature of heroic deeds, I'd say she was pretty 'blinding' in her good light. But I understand it's a matter of taste, so fair enough.

Lola Mark this book was far from a Gore fest.....just saying some people are just to sensitive to deal with the suspense of this novel and that's ok but it is far from a Gore fest

Shastina (Sassy) Henderson It's actually funny. I absolutely hate scary movies. But I love Koontz's work. Read Watchers if you want something more balanced. Don't read just one Koontz book and think you have him pegged. He writes so many, very different books.

message 7: by Kay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay Krusz I'm with you on this one, but I love Dean Koontz, in general. This one was so disturbing, I don't think I finished it. Read Watchers & The Darkest Evening of the Year before you give up on him.

message 8: by Zoomball (new)

Zoomball Thanks. I like intense but not blood & gore. So I will skip this one

message 9: by Robyn (new) - added it

Robyn Dean's books reflect his own spiritual journey, from his struggles concerning the battle between good & evil in mankind and evolving to consider God's place in the struggle, our role in it. He takes on the BIG questions. I have to "close my eyes" through the goriest bits, but hang on for the humor & the hope Dean always offers.