Noel's Reviews > The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care

The Healing of America by T.R. Reid

Apr 08, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction, library-book
Read from March 27 to April 10, 2010

Finished this non-fiction book on Health care around the world, what works, what doesn't, and how each country got to where they are. The author decided to take on industrialized countries and figure out what health care system they use and how is compares to the system used in the USA - which is the only industrialized country without universal health care - or was, until it passed under Obama's administration and under increasing criticism from the right.

I wish I had read this book a year ago. I had listened to the author on NPR and loved his commentary and I should have gone out and bought the book at that time. At this point, parts of the book are redundant in that Obama just passed the health bill, not exactly what he started out with, but IMHO, at least it's a start.

Reid talks about the systems in the UK, Canada, Japan, France and Germany. He laces the book with personal experience, having lived in several of these countries and adds tables and stats sparingly enough to make the book interesting, a must read and enjoyable at the same time. It never felt like it should have been edited to fit a magazine article, which is what I often feel when I read one of these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Healing of America.