Angela's Reviews > Between

Between by Angie Abdou

Jun 22, 2014

First of all: if you're in my reading group, STOP! Don't read this yet--we will talk on Saturday. I'm leading the discussion questions and I don't want to lead with my own opinions.

*************************************

Note for the author:

Okay, now I'll say my opinions. Wow! What a gutsy use of literature, Angie! You went there. I feel like I read this novel in the context of your "framing it" on the book tour. The fact that you use your writing to figure out things that are worrying you or on your mind in some way--that makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not a writer myself and so I have other ways to work things out but I really respect this way. First, because I believe that one of the best "side effects" of reading fiction is empathy. And I empathized with Vero (because I share her privileged life) even if I would make different choices. I'm in no position to judge her, having made mistakes in my own life, and so I'm forced to think more deeply about some of the issues brought up in the book. Secondly, I respect this novel as an attempt to spark some really important conversations that women need to have (with each other and with their partners.) What does a happy fulfilled life look like? What are you willing to sacrifice in order to achieve that? Why are we so hard on ourselves? Thirdly, I found this book to be well written (literary!) yet accessible (a page turner!) I did NOT see the end coming and I was properly shocked. Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between.

June 22, 2014 – Shelved