Jeanette 's Reviews > Morality for Beautiful Girls

Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith

Apr 07, 2010

liked it

really like this series, but im starting to have some.. issues. first off- i want to say that i really like his descriptions of africa and the people of botswana. i havent read anything on the country, so i like the insight it gives.

my issues:
the book is titled morality for beautiful girls and the description on the back cover is about a case involving beauty contest contestants. unfortunately, that case doesnt come up until page 154! that's kind of annoying.

i think that some parts are getting to be too repetitive. i feel like in every other chapter Mma Ramotswe is described as having a "traditional build" and we are reminded of Mma Makutsi's score of 97 percent on her secretarial exam. i feel like saying "ok! we get the point! enough already!"

i'm digging the characters and the series, but i had another issue with Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni all of a sudden having a bout of depression. I felt like he was this perfect guy in the first 2 books and then BAM! he's depressed and kind of disappears. It came out of nowhere.

i also feel like my brain is turning to mush. i think that maybe tackling all of the books at once was a bit much. im thinking starting monday i might take a break. i like the simplicity of the series, but im starting to want more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morality for Beautiful Girls.

April 7, 2010 – Started Reading