Laura Summers's Reviews > Alpha

Alpha by Rachel Vincent

Apr 07, 2010

bookshelves: bcc-reviewed, read-in-2010, urban-fantasy, bcc-received, favorites

Reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com (rated 9 out of 10 on the blog)

**Warning this book contains a few spoilers for previous books in the series. If you haven't read them yet I recommend heading down to your nearest book shop, you won't regret it!**

I think it's fair to say that 'Alpha' is probably my most anticipated book of the year. I've been desperate to know how it all ends. So when the lovely Book Chick City offered me an early copy for review, I jumped up and down in excitement. Any other books I was reading, momentarily forgotten.

The story takes off where 'Shift' ended. The Werecat council is in disarray, corrupted by the evil Calvin Malone. Three Prides alone stand against his malicious campaign for power. At the heart of rebellion is Faythe's father and the South-Central Pride.

In a pre-emptive move, Calvin has charged Faythe and her two lovers with treason. While Faythe stands to be de-clawed, Marc and Jace are up for execution. They can no longer wait to move, civil war amongst the werecats is unavoidable, the outcome will inevitably be bloody, painful and tragic.

The fight has begun and with it lies the future of the South-Central pride and it's time for Faythe to face her destiny.

The love triangle between Faythe, Marc and Jace continues with almost unbearable intensity. In fact, at one stage I almost couldn't take it and found myself having to flick forwards to have just a tiny sneak at the end. I was terrified that Faythe was going to make the wrong choice.

About half way through the book, the tears threatened and if I'm honest I found myself sniffing more than a couple of times. Rachel Vincent's writing style is captivating, and you get pulled into the story and the characters. You laugh, cry and rage with them as if you were part of the story itself. There were times when I wanted to smack Faythe over the head or at least give her a good shake. Then on other occasions I found myself furious at the hideous events. It's the type of book that wrings you dry with emotion.

The novel pulls no punches, it is violent, painful and gut wrenching. But, at the same time it's perfect. Rachel Vincent has ended it just the way you would like her to.

It's one of those books you cannot bear to put down. I virtually inhaled the words, the pages spinning by so fast I barely had time to come up for air.

I have one comment in that I would of liked it to go on for a little bit longer, or at least have an epilogue. Things concluded a touch too quickly and a little too abruptly for my satisfaction. This reduced my rating from a ten out of ten, to a nine.

VERDICT:

A phenomenal end to what has now become one of my favourite urban fantasy series'. Rachel Vincent is an immensely talented writer, who is without a doubt one of my favourites. As much as I enjoyed this book, I cannot help feeling slightly sad that it's all over. But, if like me, you have loved Faythe's story, I don't think you will be disappointed with its conclusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alpha.

April 7, 2010 – Shelved
October 21, 2010 – Shelved as: read-in-2010
November 3, 2010 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
November 19, 2010 – Shelved as: bcc-received
February 15, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites

Laura Summers Soo excited can't wait to know how it ends!