chucklesthescot's Reviews > The Reluctant Fundamentalist

did not like it
bookshelves: asian, fiction, worst-ever-books
Recommended for: nobody I like
Read on May 11, 2009

What complete crap this was.Our narrator is talking to an unknown American and we only get the one-sided conversation from the author-but this is the least of my complaints about the book. Our hero goes to America,falling in love with Erica who is grieving her dead boyfriend.By the time Erica has rejected him finally,our boy is on the way home where he starts becoming fundamentalist.
Ok now get real with the plot!Erica was clear about her lost love and never pretended to love our hero except as a friend yet he seems to believe he was involved in some great love affair that leaves him broken-hearted when she can't spend time with him any more.Where is his bloody compassion?The girl is nearly suicidal over her dead boyfriend and all he thinks about is himself!And it was so obvious all along how this book was going to end yet the reader is meant to be surprised and shocked by it?I don't think so.Pure mince!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Fundamentalist.

Patrick I think Erica made affectionate gestures towards him that can be misconstrued as someone in love. Think about your first-love or someone you liked but who was ambiguous about the signals she was sending. Despite to an outside observer that she was clearly not into you, you perhaps you deluded yourself that she was into you because you were in love with her.