Vivian's Reviews > Moon Called

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Apr 07, 2010

bookshelves: read-2010, first-in-series, re-read, audio, read-2011, read-2014, favorites
Read in August, 2011

Listened Aug 2011.

Read #2 Nov/2010
Re-read this and thought it was awesome. Maybe this is why people re-read books! Gets better each time :)
I love Mercy - she's tough, sarcastic, smart, but not infallible. There's a lot of wit and humor in the book. I didn't find any of the characters annoying. Great story, well explained world-building. Second time around, 5 stars!

Original review:

I'm not totally sure what to think of Moon Called. I do think I like the main character Mercedes Thompson, but the world of werewolves (or shapeshifters in general) has never interested me much so that is probably part of my blase attitude towards it. I read it mainly to see what the hype was all about. You see it on a lot of UF lists and people have generally good reviews about this series, so I went for it even with the werewolf thing. I enjoyed it enough that I'll read the next one.

I did find it a little over the top that she may have three potential love interests, that seems a bit excessive. Although one of them was super subtle, I'm thinking he will be more prominent as the series continues.

As might be expected in a first of a series, there is quite a bit of world building. I think I had the thought a couple times while reading that there wasn't really a lot of action, but huge chunks of Mercy describing the histories and rules of conduct for us. It's a well-written world, but a little more action wouldn't have hurt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.