Idleprimate's Reviews > Too Cool to Be Forgotten

Too Cool to Be Forgotten by Alex  Robinson

2919610
Apr 06, 2010

Read from April 06 to 08, 2010

Robinson's latest was excellent and satisfying. It was also moving and i felt choked up and pained while reading it.

It's a tender tale of strife in adolescence, wrapped in reflection and healing rendered through the metaphor of time travel.

I really enjoy how with his art, most of the time he uses a straightforward and consistent style, so as to not make you conscious of story-telling, but then at key moments employs abstraction and surrealism, to raise a crescendo for emotional crises.

a perhaps unnecessary warning: by the time I was 40 or 50 pages in, I was feeling like it was a bland story about a bland person having generic universal reflections on youth and wondered how something so trite could come from a master of graphic story-telling. a few dozen pages later I felt shamed for my lack of patience. I hadn't been patient to warm up to the character or let the reality of his experience sink in--which was necessary to be in place before the story became unique.

this is an essential read in graphic novels.

as an aside, I was happy to read it got optioned for a film. while i would be shocked if the film gets made or does any justice to the book, i was pleased to know he was getting a fat paycheck for the book. even terrible film adaptions are usually good for a writers career and bank account!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Cool to Be Forgotten.