Jeff Raymond's Reviews > Just Like the Movies

Just Like the Movies by Kelly Fiore Stultz

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own-on-kindle, netgalley-edition, read-ya-contemporary

I came away from this book somewhat frustrated. In a lot of ways, it's a really solid YA teen romance read, and the concept behind it is solid. It reminded me quite a bit of a few of the recent reads in this genre that I've read, which was great. My complaint is more about how it never really reaches the concept that it presents in a way I'd expect.

The short answer on this is that the book is about a couple girls who aren't so lucky in the love department and end up trying to woo their crushes using romantic movie tropes. They start a small business, they try it on their own, and it is very much a comedy of errors in some senses.

The story is pretty straightforward on a whole, but the somewhat stuttered efforts to get the hook of the book involved really took away from the rest of the story for me. It had moments that felt like a bad comedy that were offset by other pretty fun scenes. That inconsistency was ultimately what kept me from enjoying this more on a whole. Closer to a 3.5, and good for a lighter read, but that's about it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like the Movies.

June 21, 2014 – Shelved