Charles's Reviews > Traitor's Moon

Traitor's Moon by Lynn Flewelling

Jun 21, 2014

bookshelves: 2014-challenge, fantasy, stat_2, reviewed, favorites

Stuff I Read - Traitor's Moon by Lynn Flewelling Review

I always describe this series like pulling on a warm sweater. Because it's comforting and because I could spend all my time just enjoying the feeling of reading it. I love this series. It's not exactly the most challenging of reads, but there is something about an epic fantasy with an M/M relationship that is just so great. And here the relationship is finally off the ground. Finally! After two books of alluding to the feelings and slowly building here it is in all it's glory and it's wonderful. They have sex and show affection and it's a whole new chapter for them.

I was a little worried what with how things ended in the last book that there wouldn't be a whole lot to do here. The last book was rather final in its plot and it's great that things were not so tied up as they seemed. There's war now and just killing one of the primary players did not make the whole thing go away. Things are not going well for the "good guys" here and so Alec and Seregil and Beka are sent on a mission back to Seregil's home to try and negotiate for Seregil's people to join the war. It's a nice plot and one that has moments of immediacy, though the pacing is still rather slow throughout. After the breakneck pace of the last book, this one is downright ponderous. Things are much more political here, much more about the dance and about Seregil getting over what happened with Nysander and his own past.

After two books of Alec being the one more likely to mope, here it's Seregil who's out of sorts and needs to be woken up. Finally we find out what happened with Seregil's past and meet more of his family and more of his people. Only they're not really his people. And Beka gets to come more into her own, with her father retiring from the life and her getting to lead her troops into a new area. She also gets some romance herself with an fae that she doesn't know she can trust. I like the new additions to the cast, though, with Nyal and with new villains and a tense situation.

This book does take it's time, though. Perhaps it's just the transition from the old story to the newer, longer form of this series, but it did seem a little hesitant at times. That said, I would read about these characters doing just about anything. It's great, it's fun, and the setting feels realized. This is a new area to explore, a new continent unlocked, so there's a lot new to absorb. But there's also the feeling that the "good guys" aren't winning, that they're in trouble and that it's going to take a lot to get them through this. Overall it's a great book that gets me even more excited for the series. It reminds me why I love epic fantasy. I might read these books one or two a year, but they're something I look forward to a lot, and this one get an 8.5/10 from me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traitor's Moon.

June 21, 2014 – Shelved
June 21, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 21, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-challenge
June 21, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 8, 2015 – Started Reading
February 8, 2015 –
page 127
23.52% "I love this series. So easy to sink back into."
February 14, 2015 –
page 235
43.52% "I love this series..."
February 15, 2015 –
page 392
72.59% "Why must life get in the way of reading. Just want to keep going. What happens next?"
February 16, 2015 –
page 540
100.0% "Delightful and so easy to just keep reading. I want all these stories."
February 16, 2015 – Shelved as: stat_2