Andrea's Reviews > The Sweet Far Thing

The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

Apr 06, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, youngadult, paranormal-romance, boarding-school

Gemma is forced to (finally) decide what to do with the magic of the realms now that forces of evil have begun to openly move to seize it. The time has also come for the girls to leave school and make their debuts along with choices about their futures.

OMG that was soooo loooooong. (Apparently teen Victorian lit puts me in the mood for txt speak.) Seriously, make a decision. Any decision. The realms and your lives are in danger. Do NOT play games in a castle.

I enjoyed most of the themes here, and, for the most part, I was glad of the way things ended, as well, but by the end of it, when she talked about every character's longing, I was mostly just longing for her to get on with it. Yay for strong female characters. Still pretty glad I read the series.

*Spoilery Bits!!!*
++++++++++++++++++
1. Thank goodness Ann finally had some strength, but I wish she had kicked a little more booty in the realms, too. She was kind of inconsequential there. 2. Yay for GLBTQ characters, but did she really have to be abused as a child first? 3. Kartik being gone was really the easy way out. It would've been a lot harder to explain how they got on with their life if he had continued to exist in this world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Far Thing.