Brady B's Reviews > Life of Pi

Mrs. Ebarvia
Honors World Lit. – Pd. 5
11/28/37
Book Review

The novel Life of Pi by Yann Martel is an intriguing and very interesting book about the journey of a teenage boy, Pi Patel, who is trying to find himself. Pi is a studious boy who practices not just Hinduism, but also Islam and Christianity. A zookeepers son, Pi finds himself being uprooted from everything he has known to move to North America, but when the boat sinks, Pi finds himself lost a sea in a lifeboat with a ferocious Bengal tiger, who are both trying to survive. Yann Martel was born in 1963 in Spain and studied philosophy before beginning to write. He has written many other published novels including The Facts Behind the Helsinki Raccomatios, The Third Brother, and Self.
In this novel I enjoyed how the author did not simply write about Pi and his journey but he wrote about what Pi was thinking and how he was feeling. I found that what kept me interested and what kept me reading was how in almost every paragraph, the author would deeply explain everything Pi was thinking and what was going on around him with examples from religious scriptures, experiences, and different stories from all over. Although it is an intellectual book it was not a hard read and the way it was written flowed well and was easy to understand. My favorite part of the book was when Pi's experiences with all of the three religions were explained and analyzed. I enjoyed how the other not only wrote about how Pi and his mentors felt about it, but also about how his family and the people around him felt after they found out what was going on.
Although I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I did find that sometimes the author would stray to far from what was going on and you would lose sight of everything that was happening with Pi. As I said in the last paragraph, I did like how the author explained everything with examples, but some of them would be multiple pages long and it was easy to forget what was going on. I felt that sometimes during these points I lost interest. I think that it would help readers stay focused on the plot and the book, if he had written less or not used such extraneous examples. Although they give you much needed insight into the mind of the main character, they would still help even if they were not so long.
In conclusion, I liked this book very much and would highly recommend it to all. Although sometimes it is easy to get lost, over all, this book is extremely interesting and exciting. I have found this book to be one of my favorites and I will probably read it again. This is one of those books that no matter how many times you read it, it will always be good. It is one of those books that when you just want something good to read at your local coffee house or when you go to bed, you will always want to pick up. This book is intellectual and exciting, and if you’re looking for a good book that is hard to put down, try "Life of Pi by Yann Martel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

Finished Reading