K's Reviews > We Were Liars

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks, intense-sad-dark-or-bleak, thank-god-i-wasn-t-born-there

In this case my three-star rating is a strong three, a lots-of-strengths-but-unfortunately-some-weaknesses-too three, not a grudging, should-maybe-be-two-stars-but-I'm-feeling-generous three. This was an entertaining and engaging audio listen for me, and I love an unreliable narrator. Unfortunately, the prose waxed into the purple realm at times and there were several anticlimactic moments where it felt like the book had promised more than it was delivering. So just three stars, but definitely worth picking up for a beach visit or plane ride.

Cadence Sinclair Eastman, the book's narrator, has grown up spending summers on her wealthy family's island together with two cousins her age and one cousin's step-cousin from the wrong side of the tracks. The four of them form a tight-knit group called "The Liars," and the theme of the book seems to be the fluid nature of the truth. We gradually learn that Cadence suffered an accident one summer and is having difficulty regaining her memory of what seems to have been a pivotal summer for the family. Together with Cadence, the reader tries to piece together the evidence and figure out what actually happened that summer.

Unlike many smarter goodreaders, I failed to guess the plot twist and was appropriately shocked when I learned the truth of what happened that summer. My one issue was that I felt the author could have taken that situation farther in a variety of ways and made things even more morally ambiguous. Still, though, while I wouldn't label this a great work of literature that's earth-changing in any way, I would definitely recommend it for someone who's in the mood for something engaging and not taxing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Liars.

June 20, 2014 – Started Reading