Inge's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

bookshelves: did-not-finish

DNF 64%

Oh, this was just awful. I quite liked the banter between Q and his friends, but I could not stand another word about that damn Margo Roth Spiegelman. Margo Roth Spiegelman is beautiful, Margo Roth Spiegelman is perfect, Margo Roth Spiegelman is sensational, she’s better than everyone else, she’s more than everyone else, and basically she’s everything you’re not. Margo Roth Spiegelman screams Manic Pixie Dream Girl from miles away, she’s whimsical and different and did I mention she’s better than you? Oh, and then she disappears. MOAR MYSTERY TO MARGO ROTH SPIEGELMAN. Who was a self-centred twatwaffle.

Not to mention Ben is a giant douche-canoe, because he wants penises on his cheeks and he also keeps referring to girls as ‘honeybunnies’. If I have to hear the term ‘honeybunny’ one more time, I’m going to set rabid bunnies loose on his ass.

So basically, I liked the premise, but I couldn’t stand the character whom the entire book was about, and I didn’t want to read another sentence of Q worshipping Margo Roth Spiegelman in one way or another, connecting her to philosophical and poetic mumbo jumbo, and placing her on ten different pedestals. Give me a break.

I also really didn’t care about what happened next. Life is too short to spend one more fuck on Margo Roth Spiegelman.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

June 19, 2014 – Shelved
June 19, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 4, 2014 – Shelved as: tbr-own-ebook
May 15, 2015 –
7.0% ""I wish my cheeks had penises."\n \n ...\n \n You... you mean like this?\n \n Image and video hosting by TinyPic \n \n Or actual penises?\n \n Because... because both are kinda weird."
May 16, 2015 –
16.0% "I'm already thoroughly sick of Margo Roth Spiegelman."
May 19, 2015 –
50.0% " Image and video hosting by TinyPic "
May 14, 2017 – Shelved as: didnt-finish
May 14, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf
August 13, 2017 – Shelved as: did-not-finish

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Su (new) - added it

Su Aww, really? I was planning to read it.

message 2: by Inge (new) - added it

Inge Su wrote: "Aww, really? I was planning to read it."

You may enjoy it better than I did. :)

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Sardothien Though I won't read this... As I did not like Looking For Alaska. You're review gave me a vibe that Margo is similar to Alaska, because both of them are special, beautiful and something more.

FYI according to my best friend, the ending was really weird.

Anyway wonderful review Inge :D

message 4: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Stanley Twatwaffle? douche-canoe? Inge you're better at coming up with interested words than the average writer! I might have to steal those! Not sure where I can use them though... They sound great, but they don't sound like 'Deathsworn Arc' material! :O

Natalie Monroe Paper Towns is exactly like Looking For Alaska, but with a bigger case of Maniac Pixie Dream Girl. I really want the movie to bomb.

Dichotomy Girl The only John Green that I really really liked was An Abundance of Katherines, and I'm not entirely sure that it wasn't simply because it was the first one that I read. I never really got the hype of TFIOS,or Looking for Alaska. (and why do all of his characters quip like 30-something hipsters??)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

BAHAHHAHAHAH. THIS REVIEW IS BOSS AND SO IS THAT PICTURE

message 8: by Inge (new) - added it

Inge Kat Stark wrote: "BAHAHHAHAHAH. THIS REVIEW IS BOSS AND SO IS THAT PICTURE"

Hahaha thank youu! <3

Dichotomy Girl wrote: "The only John Green that I really really liked was An Abundance of Katherines, and I'm not entirely sure that it wasn't simply because it was the first one that I read. I never really got the hype..."

HAHA that is the perfect description of his chracters! I never got the hype around TFIOS either, it was good but not fantastic. This was my second Green book.

Natalie wrote: "Paper Towns is exactly like Looking For Alaska, but with a bigger case of Maniac Pixie Dream Girl. I really want the movie to bomb."

I hope her eyebrows bomb.

Martyn wrote: "Twatwaffle? douche-canoe? Inge you're better at coming up with interested words than the average writer! I might have to steal those! Not sure where I can use them though... They sound great, but t..."

On the contrary, Martyn! I think your dialogue would be so much richer if Elden Roth went around calling people twatwaffles ;)

Sophia wrote: "Though I won't read this... As I did not like Looking For Alaska. You're review gave me a vibe that Margo is similar to Alaska, because both of them are special, beautiful and something more.

FYI..."

I've looked up the ending, just because, and I'm glad I didn't continue. That would have just pissed me off hahaha. From what I've heard, Paper Towns is exactly like Looking for Alaska.

message 9: by Nora (new)

Nora I already dislike Margo Roth Spiegelman lol

Rachel I HATED MARGO.

message 11: by Inge (new) - added it

Inge Morgane wrote: "I. LOVE. YOUR. REVIEWS. (... And I love them even more when I totally agree with you.)"

Hehehe, thank you! :D

Rachel wrote: "I HATED MARGO."

SHE WAS AWFUL.

Nora wrote: "I already dislike Margo Roth Spiegelman lol"

You should! Haha

Spider the Doof Warrior It kind of was a deconstruction of that trope when you get to the end though and he finds out she's just a regular girl and she finds out he's just a regular boy.

But it did irritate me the way she stressed everyone out with her antics. I was like, woman, it's not so bad to go to college, get married and have kids but it's not like you HAVE to do those things, you know? You can do your own thing, really. You do not have to be so dramatic.

message 13: by Inge (new) - added it

Inge Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) wrote: "It kind of was a deconstruction of that trope when you get to the end though and he finds out she's just a regular girl and she finds out he's just a regular boy.

But it did irritate me the way sh..."

That was my main problem with her, how she felt the need to shove her morals and ideas down everyone else's throats, and judged them for not thinking the same way.

Spider the Doof Warrior Yes, that got rankling.

Thibaut Nicodème Fucking amen. This entire cast could be nuked from orbit and I wouldn't mind.

message 16: by Inge (new) - added it

Inge Thibaut wrote: "Fucking amen. This entire cast could be nuked from orbit and I wouldn't mind."

Yes yes yes.

message 17: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate O'Donnell I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Margo is supposed to represent the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope.

message 18: by Inge (new) - added it

Inge kate.o.d wrote: "I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Margo is supposed to represent the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope."

I understand the pedestal thing, but Margo as a character was insufferable nonetheless.

Allie I completely agree with you. The novelty of Margo being the sole purpose of everyone's lives got pretty old, pretty fast.

Spider the Doof Warrior she wasn't very nice

message 21: by British (new)

British Obsessed. So I'm not the only one. It's very rare that I don't finish a book that I'm so far into but this one just bored the hell out of me. The first 100 pages were really good and interesting but then once Margo disappeared, everything got really dry and boring and I can't stand Quentin because he's so one-dimensional. I'm still intrigued by Margo because I have no idea what happened to her or why she left but people are saying it's stupid. I really tried to finish this book but I can't. I already bought Looking for Alaska because it was less than $5 on Amazon but a lot of people on here are saying it's similar to this book and if that's the case then forget it.

message 22: by Inge (new) - added it

Inge British wrote: "So I'm not the only one. It's very rare that I don't finish a book that I'm so far into but this one just bored the hell out of me. The first 100 pages were really good and interesting but then onc..."

I don't even remember why she left, but yeah, it's kind of stupid. I haven't read Looking for Alaska but I've heard the same thing, which is why I've removed it from my to-read list.

♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤the summertime and butterflies all belong to your creation❤ A agree with this review. It was just the Margo show, wasn't it?

message 24: by Matt (last edited Aug 12, 2017 04:31AM) (new)

Matt I think it's quite sweet Ben's 'honeybunny' usage, because he doesn't realize how sexist it sounds and thinks it sounds cool.

Lostaccount lol@review

Poonam I felt the same about Margo F***ing Spiegelman

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Like Woe × ¨*: You are queen for this review.