Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > World of Trouble

World of Trouble by Ben H. Winters

bookshelves: audio

While I am a huge fan of series, trilogies have started to annoy me. All of the sudden, every author has to have one (or two). In some cases, it makes sense. In other cases it is a money grab. Even in the case where you can justify the need for three books to tell a story, things get lost along the way. The second book is a means to an end. The finale is a let-down after all the anticipation and build up.

This is not one of those trilogies. This final installment was perfect.

The premise, in a nutshell, is that an asteroid is earth-bound. Predicted to hit Indonesia, but ultimately a humanity-ending hit. Time is ticking down, and most people are choosing to end their lives, fulfilling bucket lists, or engaging in total hedonism. Everyone but Hank Palace, a police officer in Concord, NH. He still cares if a crime is committed. Even when the police force disbands, he obeys and serves the common man. He's a little twitchy, maybe on the spectrum, but earnest and well-meaning. He's a great character, and the series is an interesting study of humanity in the most desperate of circumstances.

I was a little nervous for the third and final installment. The stakes are big, the countdown is just about over, the tension from a reader's perspective is insane. I just kept whispering to myself "Winters don't blow it. Winters don't blow it." In "World of Trouble" things are boiled down to the very personal for Hank. He has to find his sister, his only living relative, after she's run off with a group of people who believe they can save the world. Now Hank has always been chasing after her in books one and two, but he was also distracted by other missions. Those missions are done now. Winters doesn't blow it. In fact it made such an impact, I had to sit and almost meditate on it.

You must read this trilogy, it is worth the journey. I'd recommend the audios if that is your thing. Peter Berkrot narrates all three, and while his voice took some getting used to, he become Hank and delivered the goods on a silver platter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World of Trouble.

June 19, 2014 – Shelved