Sally906's Reviews > Breaking The Drought

Breaking The Drought by Lisa Ireland

bookshelves: australian-author, netgalley-review, romance

Opening line: ‘…”Jerk alert at twelve o clock”…’

Jenna McLean is a city girl through and through; and as editor of a glossy women’s magazine she is more at home with Jimmy Choos than horse shoes. So it is a sign of her close friendship with her best girlfriend that she allows herself to be dragged out of the city and into the bush for a Batchelor’s Ball. Jenna is not looking for romance, in fact she is not looking for love at all after recently being dumped by a man who ticked all the boxes on her ‘what to look for in a perfect husband’ list. Country boys need not apply; and practicality should pick a mate not chemistry. Then she meets Sheep grazier Luke and practicality flies out of the window as chemistry flies in. Luke doesn’t tick one box on her list – and he thinks she is a spoilt city girl and not worthy of his attention, but boy oh boy does he make her toes curl. BREAKING THE DROUGHT wouldn’t be a romance if it didn’t have two opposites attract, and practicalities, like one loving the city and the other the country, seemingly insurmountable, overcome. Both Luke and Jenna have issues, and Luke’s are only revealed gradually, set against a small country town their relationship grows as it sways between passion and dislike until the ultimate crunch time when they realise that they can’t live apart and someone has to make a compromise so they can be together. If you are a fan of the TV show ‘The Farmer Wants a Wife’ you will understand what challenges the city girls face when they hit the bush, some take to it like a duck to water some run screaming in horror back to the city – and others take time to see the allure of life in the bush. Life is hard but the rewards can be amazing – Jenna survives snakes, drought, bushfire and childbirth and makes wonderful friends along the way. The characters are very believable, life in the bush town is depicted perfectly – I heartily recommend this book.

B – Great. I really enjoyed reading it and it is a book I will be recommending to all my friends who like this genre.

With thanks to Escape Publishing and the author via Netgalley for my copy to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking The Drought.

June 19, 2014 – Shelved
June 19, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 19, 2014 – Shelved as: australian-author
June 19, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley-review
June 19, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
July 1, 2014 – Started Reading
page 35
20.0% "I am really enjoying this"
July 1, 2014 –
75.0% "Oh no - lunch break is over the bush fire is bearing down on the two women and one has gone into labour!!"
July 1, 2014 – Finished Reading