Debbie's Reviews > Christlike: The Pursuit of Uncomplicated Obedience

Christlike by Bill Hull

Apr 05, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in April, 2010

"Christlike" is a book about what it means to be a disciple of Christ and why we should want to be one. It's Christ-focused, Bible-based, and the author used Scripture to make his arguments. I enjoyed that he presented a balanced, whole-Bible view of the various points of theology that he touched on. He understood that sometimes it's not a matter of one or the other being more important but of both being equally important since they're interconnected.

Chapter two examined the five main leanings in the Western church today (like a social justice focus, prosperity focus, etc.) and how they have some things right but that their focus is off. This causes problems in the type of Christians they turn out. I understand why he put in this chapter--and he handled it well and didn't come across as condemning--but I felt the heart of the book was the topic of discipleship, which was covered in the rest of the book.

He promotes following Christ's example. He showed how reading the Bible is a way to grow in your relationship with Christ and how to let what you read in the Bible change your life. He described how surrendering to Christ's work in our heart and being obedient to God with our actions (even when we don't feel like it) leads to changes to our thoughts and emotions that work outward to effect our everyday actions. This leads to uncomplicated obedience to God that can change the world, one person at a time.

I was sometimes a little hesitant about how the author worded things when trying to describe an idea, but his conclusions were always spot-on and Bible-based. The book makes you think because he correctly doesn't try to simplify what is complex, but the information is not difficult to understand and he does get to "the simplicity on the other side of complexity."

I'd highly recommend this well-written book to all Christians. Instead of grabbing the latest "Christian Life" book, grab this discipleship book. It'll be worth it.

I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christlike.