snowplum's Reviews > The Truth-Teller's Tale

The Truth-Teller's Tale by Sharon Shinn

liked it

What I find most distinctive about this novel is the unexpected contrast between style and story; but while I'm all for creative works that break traditional genre boundaries, in this case, the book is interesting but I'm not sure to whom I would recommend it.

In a lot of ways The Truth-Teller's Tale is written in traditional fairy tale prose -- at once simple and direct but also a bit old fashioned and lyrical. I like that. But I'm not entirely comfortable with recommending the book to younger or middle-grade readers who like fairy tales because there are just a couple of plot elements that I think they might not like. The young teenage characters talk about whether they will make love to their romantic interests, and at one point a girl is raped. There is no detail in either case, and nothing is ever described in language that would warrant more than a PG rating, but I think some middle grade readers would not like to hear of a character being raped, nor would their parents agree that 15 year old girls should be contemplating whether to have sex. Add to that the fact that the end of the novel is surprisingly subtle and emotionally mature, and I'm not really sure who the ideal reader is. I think younger readers might find the content too mature and older teens would find the style a little bit childish, so maybe the ideal reader is an adult or teen who isn't concerned with the novel fitting neatly into a YA or fantasy or fairy tale box.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth-Teller's Tale.

Started Reading