Katherine's Reviews > Every Breath

Every Breath by Ellie Marney

bookshelves: owned, contemporary, coverly-love, mystery-thriller, romance, young-adult, literary-retellings

description
"I am not the law, but I represent justice so far as my feeble powers go."- Sherlock Holmes

4.5 out of 5 stars

Setting: Melbourne, Australia; 2013

Coverly Love?:Yes; the covers of this book and I have a love/hate relationship. I didn’t like the Australian covers at first, then I grew to love it. So by the time the American cover came out, I was so used to the Australian cover that I didn’t like it at first. But then I grew to love this one as well :D.

Plot:When a homeless man named Dave is murdered at the local zoo, no one has any idea who would do such a thing. The man isn’t much of a concern to the police since Dave is homeless, and frankly their stumped as to what killed the man. However, two teenagers are showing a keen interest in the man. Rachel Watts is a recent transplant to the big city from the country, and James Mycroft is a recent British transplant from Australia. Mycroft has a fascination with forensics and medical science and fancies himself as the next Sherlock Holmes. Rachel Watts is his trusty sidekick and best friend. Together, they’ll not only learn who tried to kill Dave, but learn how to live in a totally different environments than what they’re used to… and maybe learn a thing or two about deduction and crime solving in the process.

Every Breath is a retelling of Sherlock Holmes, and while I don’t quite think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would be pleased with this retelling, I do think he would be pleasantly surprised and amused. Personally, I thought this was one of the best YA mystery series I’ve read in a while. Full of mystery, suspense and a touch of romance, Ellie Marney has created a dynamic crime fighting duo. The plot was extremely fast-paced with no dull moments in between, a solid friendship with the potential to turn into something more, and awesome side characters to fill in the gaps and make the story interesting. Simply put? I loved it!!

Characters:
”I want to be Sherlock-bloody-Holmes.”
Meet James Mycroft. A British transplant to Australia after his parents die in a freak car accident, he’s tall, dark, handsome, mysterious, and rebellious. Apart from his obsession with forensic medicine and his high intelligence, he’s about as far from Sherlock Holmes personality wise as Kim Kardashian is to Princess Catherine. Let’s compare…
”Detection is, or ought to be, an exact science and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner”- Sherlock Holmes
”’I do care!’ Mycroft’s voice explodes off the walls nearby. ‘Bloody hell, if I didn’t care why would I bother trying to figure out who killed him?’
Whereas Sherlock gives no regard to even trying to care or get personally attached to the victim (or anyone else, in general), Mycroft is a very emotional person. He doesn’t solve crimes just for kicks or morbid fascination like his literary counterpart. He does it because he truly cares about the outcome. You can see and feel his torment and pain when it comes to his parents, and how much he misses them. And you can feel his love and care for Watts as well, who is potentially the only person who may understand what goes on in that funny little brain of his. Personally, I loved Mycroft as a character. He’s also sarcastic, witty and general smart-ass with a wicked sense of humor. Basically, he’s the exact polar opposite of the world’s greatest detective.
”I admit to being a moron at lots of things. Being a moron in one or two areas serves to highlight my extraordinary brilliance in everything else ”

Rachel Watts is a recent transplant to the big city from the countryside, and she HATES is here. She wants the wide open spaces, freedom to roam around, and the general quiet life she and her family led back home. She alternately cares too much for people and doesn’t care enough…
”I don’t want to get attached to this city, or anything about it. I hate living in the city.”
Sometimes she can be completely irrational (more so than Mycroft)..
”Well, at least I get to see Mycroft semi-naked before I die”
But underneath her occasionally prickly personality, she cares deeply about the ones she loves. Although she doesn’t want to admit that she’s gotten attached to anyone in her short time here, she truly has. Mycroft, Mai, and Gus are the best friends she’s ever had, and without them, she wouldn’t nearly have as much adventure in her life then if she weren’t living in the country. She’s Mycroft’s voice of reason, and together they make a dynamic duo.

Mai and Gus are Mycroft and Rachel’s friends. More so Rachel’s, but Mycroft is friendly towards them as well. Mai and Gus are also dating, and I must say that they make the most adorable couple. They’re both exasperated by Mycroft’s wild and crazy ideas and supportive at the same time, which makes them all the more awesome. I’m looking forward to seeing them in the next installments.

Pros:I love the diversity in characters the author created, and how fleshed out all the characters seemed to be, even the side ones. Overall, the book was bloody amazing!!

Cons:I would have liked a bit more background and info to how Rachel and Mycroft met. The book just jumps right into their friendship. Maybe it gets more fleshed out in the other two books, but it would have been nice to read about (as I’m sure it would be interesting). Also, I thought the police work by both the regular police and by Mycroft and Watts could border on the sloppy side.

The last con didn’t bother me, but it may bother some readers. This book is a retelling of Sherlock Holmes, with a female Watson and a sexy Sherlock. Confession time: I haven’t read a Sherlock Holmes novel. I, in fact, haven’t read a Sherlock Holmes short story. Period.

I know, I know; I’m a disgrace to Sherlockians everywhere. I’ve watched the movies, the TV series, read Sherlock retellings and played the computer games. And yet I’ve never had the urge to read any of the originals by the late great Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Simply put, I am not a Sherlockian. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to portray the world’s greatest consulting detective, and I’m open to interpretation. I do know from what’s been portrayed on screen that he’s supposed to be emotionally aloof and detached, analytical to the point of madness, could tell you what you had for breakfast that morning, allergic to romantic relationships, and is not supposed to be sexy in any way, shape or form (though honestly, Benedict Cumberbatch is considered to be the “sexy Sherlock” of his generation. Sorry Sherlockians.). This book is the exact opposite of that.

Basically, if you are an ardent, devoted Sherlockian, YOU WILL NOT LIKE THIS BOOK. I can’t emphasize this enough. If this image makes you cringe...
description
Step away from the book. This book will do to a Sherlockian what Reign does to British and French historians. In other words, you will rage. So for your sanity and the safety (as well as the book’s), don’t read it.

Love Triangle?:Nope!

Instalove?:
”I wanted Rachel Watts and James Mycroft to have a relationship that was created slowly, with a solid base in friendship, like a real life couple.”- Ellie Marney
YES!! YES!! Can we get an amen? There’s absolutely no instalove here; just a good, solid friendship that slowly turns into love. And it worked out beautifully.

A Little Romance?:
”We have such a comfortable arrangement, where he studies at my place and I treat him like another brother. Then I go over to his place and we hang out, as friends, as mates. And it’s so easy, the way we are together, listening to music or talking rubbish.”
Mycroft and Watts start off firmly as friends. Not even a hint of romantic attraction is hinted at. Watts acknowledges he’s good-looking, and Mycroft KNOWS he’s good looking, but it never goes any further than that. They have full-blown arguments, make up, and consider themselves more brother and sister than potential romantic interests. The romantic tension builds on both sides gradually throughout the novel, until finally they act on their romantic attraction. And when they DO get together… it’s HOT. Fan-inducing hot. Sweating like a sinner in church hot. Which made it all the more exciting when they do get together.

Conclusion:An awesome first book to what will surely be an awesome series. The characters were amazingly snarky and amazing, the plot was fantastic, and the rapport between Mycroft and Watts was wonderful to read. If you are a Sherlockian, you’d be best advised to not read this book. But if you don’t mind the literary license, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by this little gem. It’s one of the best YA romantic crime thrillers out there. Highly recommended!!!

Now I have to wait another whole year for the sequel to come out in America. WAAAHHHH!!!!! :'(

Read This!:If you're in Australia, Every Word and Every Move to see the adventure continue.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Breath.

June 18, 2014 – Shelved
June 18, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 25, 2014 – Started Reading
October 25, 2014 – Shelved as: owned
October 25, 2014 –
0.0% "I'm excited but a bit skeptical about this one, considering it's about a sexy Sherlock Holmes. Nevertheless, I'm hoping it's good. Let's do this!!!"
October 25, 2014 –
page 11
3.28% ""I admit to being a moron at lots of things. Being a moron in one or two areas serves to highlight my extraordinary brilliance in everything else." Haha, I'm already loving this!!!"
page 110
32.84% "Poor Mycroft :'("
page 162
48.36% ""He smells of cigarettes and sleep... Huh? What does sleep smell like? How does one go about smelling like sleep?! I never knew it HAD a smell."
page 169
50.45% ""Sherlock Holmes was a total nightmare, shooting holes in the walls, and not talking for days, and playing violin until all hours, and being a general pain in the arse to live with."\n \n Yup, sounds about like our beloved Cumberlock!!"
page 243
72.54% "Hubba hubba, sexy Sherlock strikes!!! ;)"
page 243
72.54% "He tastes a little of citrus, faintly of cigarettes, but mostly just of BOY..."\n \n Seriously, what is it with the author and strange smells. What the hell does boy smell like. All my exes smelled different."
page 352
100% "Sexy Sherlock for the win!! Full review to come!!"
October 28, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 28, 2014 – Shelved as: coverly-love
October 28, 2014 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller
October 28, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
October 28, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 28, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 7, 2014 – Shelved as: literary-retellings

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Lola (new)

Lola Hey it's the girl from Thirteen reasons why French version!!
description

I don't like when they do that. :P

Katherine Lola wrote: "Hey it's the girl from Thirteen reasons why French version!!

I don't like when they do that. :P"

Me neither! Covers are the chance to be creative, and it gets annoying when they use the same old image over and voer.

Like that couple that was on the old Lux covers by Jennifer L. Armentrout? They've been on lots of other covers to books!!

message 3: by Lola (new)

Lola I know!! It's like don't they have something else to pose for except books??

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Mine too ;)

Katherine Lola wrote: "I know!! It's like don't they have something else to pose for except books??"

Hehe, it's like they couldn't find any other hot couples willing to pose for a book cover, so those two are their backup people!!

Katherine Kat Stark wrote: "Mine too ;)"

Hehe, we're in agreement! He also shares my parent's anniversary date, so there's preexisting loyalty!!

message 7: by Ana Luisa (new) - added it

Ana Luisa Ohh, this books sounds interesting! I've been looking for some sherlockian adaptations, and even though I consider myself a Sherlockian I do not mind at all a bit of change, it spices things up lol I'll definitely check this out soon!

Katherine Ana Luisa wrote: "Ohh, this books sounds interesting! I've been looking for some sherlockian adaptations, and even though I consider myself a Sherlockian I do not mind at all a bit of change, it spices things up lol..."

You should; this was an AWESOME read!! I have a feeling you'll love Mycroft.

message 9: by Ana Luisa (new) - added it

Ana Luisa Katherine wrote: "Ana Luisa wrote: "Ohh, this books sounds interesting! I've been looking for some sherlockian adaptations, and even though I consider myself a Sherlockian I do not mind at all a bit of change, it sp..."

Sexy and sassy Sherlock? Yes please!

Katherine Ana Luisa wrote: "Katherine wrote: "Ana Luisa wrote: "Ohh, this books sounds interesting! I've been looking for some sherlockian adaptations, and even though I consider myself a Sherlockian I do not mind at all a bi..."

He has a LOT of sass, be forewarned ;)

message 11: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL fabulous review:) glad you enjoyed it

Katherine TL wrote: "fabulous review:) glad you enjoyed it"

message 13: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL Katherine wrote: "TL wrote: "fabulous review:) glad you enjoyed it"

Your welcome, btw... that image of female watson does make me cringe but not for the fact it's a female watson, I did not like the show (no offense if you do but it made me cringe).. I wouldn't mind more of a female Watson done well, though

Katherine TL wrote: "Katherine wrote: "TL wrote: "fabulous review:) glad you enjoyed it"

No offense taken; Elementary isn't everyone's cup of tea. I think you'll like Rachel Watts though.

message 15: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL I will definite;y check it out :) have you read Laurie R. King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series?

Katherine TL wrote: "I will definite;y check it out :) have you read Laurie R. King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series?"

No; is it any good?

message 17: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL Katherine wrote: "TL wrote: "I will definite;y check it out :) have you read Laurie R. King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series?"

No; is it any good?"

Very imo, one of my favorites:)

Katherine TL wrote: "Katherine wrote: "TL wrote: "I will definite;y check it out :) have you read Laurie R. King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series?"

No; is it any good?"

Very imo, one of my favorites:)"

I'll have to check it out; thanks TL!!

message 19: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL Katherine wrote: TL wrote: "Katherine wrote: "TL wrote: "I will definite;y check it out :) have you read Laurie R. King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series?"

No; is it any good?"

Very imo, one of my favorites:)"

I'll have to check it out; thanks TL!! "

your welcome,hope you enjoy:)

Paige  Bookdragon What movie is that with Lucy?! I haven't seen that yet.. But awesome review Katherine!

Katherine Paige wrote: "What movie is that with Lucy?! I haven't seen that yet.. But awesome review Katherine!"

It's the American TV show Elementary (not a movie).

And thank you!!! :D

Paige  Bookdragon Katherine wrote: "Paige wrote: "What movie is that with Lucy?! I haven't seen that yet.. But awesome review Katherine!"

It's the American TV show Elementary (not a movie).

And thank you!!! :D"