Sonya Heaney's Reviews > Engaged at the Chatsfield

Engaged at the Chatsfield by Melanie Milburne

bookshelves: category-romance

Originally posted HERE .

This was very short. I was expecting something short, but my copy ended at the 80% mark, so I got even less story than I expected!

I’ve read some things by this author before, and she’s a solid writer who draws you in. It also makes such a difference to read something set in Britain that’s actually written by an author familiar with British English – the language is very different, in a very good way.

The issues I had with this story were pretty standard because of the length. This is one of the fastest-moving relationships I’ve ever read about. We go from zero to everything in not much more than a few hours. Of course it always helps when hero and heroine have a past connection, as these two do. However it was still Very Fast.

I do like the poor downtrodden heroine done well, and you are going to feel sorry for this heroine in this story. I would have preferred fewer references to how thin blondes were ruining her life. The other female characters were all a bit high school-cliquey, which is simply not my experience with grown women anywhere but also a staple of this romance genre, unfortunately.

I would be interested in reading more in this series, preferably a longer story with a bit more to the relationship development. I was never much of a reader of the Presents line in the past, but recently I’ve found a few gems.

Review copy provided by NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Engaged at the Chatsfield.

June 18, 2014 – Started Reading