M.K. Hobson's Reviews > The Last Witchfinder

The Last Witchfinder by James K. Morrow

Apr 04, 2010

I really enjoyed The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow. I purchased this book on a whim, as I've never read anything by Morrow before. It turns out this is quite an oversight on my part, as he is an extremely well-regarded writer of science fiction and fantasy. After reading this book, I went out and immediately purchased Towing Jehovah and The Philosopher's Apprentice, both of which I'll review later.

I particularly enjoyed the historical millieu of this book, and the loving attention to period detail and dialect. Jennet Stearne was a compelling heroine, smart and strong. I thought her relationship with (the much younger) Benjamin Franklin was nicely done, as was the depiction of the challenges she faced as an intellectual in a time when intellectual exploration (particularly by women) tended to be viewed as unnatural and probably unholy.

There was little I did not like about this book. I did wish I could have understood Jennet's relationship with her brother Dunstan more clearly. It would probably have made the climactic ending work just a bit better for me.

In any case, I would recommend this book highly to those who enjoy well-crafted historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Witchfinder.