Rebecca's Reviews > A Bend in the River

A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul

did not like it

I don't have a lot to say about this book since I did not enjoy it very much. It was alright, but getting to the end felt kind of like a chore. It reminded me of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter because it seemed a lot like something you would read in school. I don't know why they always think these kinds of books are so great. I suppose it did a good job of depicting a certain place and time (i.e. Africa in the 1970's), but all the characters seemed depressed, sad, and kind of nihilistically hopeless. Although you could like certain of them at certain times, there wasn't a single one you could like consistently. None of them seemed to uphold any morals for a long period of time, or could be counted on to NOT arbitrarily betray each other or do something bad.

The writing was good, but the plot seemed lacking to me, and the whole thing was rather grueling. If we we're talking really good books set in Africa, I much prefer Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart or Alan Paton's Cry the Beloved Country or Out of Africa instead of this one. And oddly enough, I read those first two for school and they didn't suck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bend in the River.

Started Reading