Noa Meshorer's Reviews > Private

Private by Kate Brian

F 50x66
Apr 03, 2010

bookshelves: 8th-grade-ir-books-chris-mc-cloud

Private, is the first book of this series. It is about a girl named Reed Brennan who receives a scholarship to enter the private high school "Easton Academy". She comes from a suburban town and it gives her the opportunity to experience a new and better educational life. It also enables her to get away from an addict unloving mother. At the beginning she feels as an outsider but then she becomes friend with a group of girls named "the Billings", who are a rich and powerful clique. In order to be accepted to their group, Reed has to go through several unpleasant tasks. At the same time, she falls in love with a boy named Thomas Pearson who soon becomes her boyfriend but at some point towards the end, he disappears. The consequences of this event will be continued in the next book.

For this book, I would make a text-to-self connection. It reminds me of a personal experience I recently had while moving to a new environment and in a new school. The feeling of being and "outsider" during the first days is an overwhelming challenge. Being new, and not speaking fluently the language, I felt different, and like Reed in the book I hoped to be accepted in a group of friends.

I gave this book 5 stars. It is suspenseful and intriguing. While reading the book you find yourself more and more curious about how it will develop. I recommend this book to anyone who likes a mix of teenager life and suspenseful events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Private.