C.G. Drews's Reviews > Fairest

Fairest by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: 5-star, read-2015, young-adult, retelling, sci-fi

SO THIS WAS BASICALLY INCREDIBLE. Am I suprised? nope. I've read 3 books by Marissa Meyer and they just get better and better (which is awkward since I rated Cinder 5-stars and all the rest 5-stars so...I NEED MORE STARS, CLEARLY). I was so curious about this book because Levana (the villain of the series) didn't have a heck of a lot of development in previous books. She seemed like President Snow from The Hunger Games...really evil, but distantly so. I wasn't sure if Fairest would make me feel sorry for her or hate her with a fiery passion.

GUESS WHAT?! IT DID BOTH.

Fairest made me pity and loathe Levana all at once. That takes incredibly wickedly extraordinarily amazing writing skills. I just bow to Marissa Meyer. I think she is a wizard or something.

The writing is gorgeous as usual! I felt it took me 10 or so pages to really get into it...but I wasn't sure if it's because I haven't been in Lunar land for so long OR if the beginning felt draggy.

OHhhh, the ROMANCE IS CREEPY. Like seriously. It's written so so well, that you can nearly see both sides. But Levana is downright creepy. At 15 she becomes obsessed with a palace guard and his offers of friendship are seen, in her eyes, as professions of love. It's a really miserable tale of brainwashing and manipulation and emotional torture. And since it's from Levana's eyes, I totally understood WHY she did it. But it freaked me out. She was a sociopath.

Now Fairest IS a novella, and it's more of a prequel...but I think you could read it at any time (I wouldn't recommend reading it first if you haven't started The Lunar Chronicles yet. It wouldn't make sense.) But it's 222-pages and it's so so worth reading. I GAVE IT 5-STARS, DUH. GO READ IT.

THINGS YOU FIND OUT IF YOU READ FAIREST:
- How Levana got her scars
- Why she wears glamour
- Exactly what happened to Princess Selene
- Why Levana hates mirrors
- A few tidbits about Dr. Erland
- How Winter grew up (and who her real mother is)
- Why Levana is seriously twisted
- That Levana has an older sister, Channery (which you probably knew, but I'd forgotten until I read this)
- Why the Lunars decide to unleash that devastating disease on earth
- It has the first 3 chapters of Winter in the back (!!!!!!)
- What they eat on Lunar (this is very important and, obviously, delicious)

Why are you even still here?! YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK. Incredible doesn't begin to cover it. It twisted me in a tangled knot of emotions and it's barely over 200-pages. I was so sucked into this book. I read it in a few hours flat and devoured the sample chapters of Winter. I NEED MORE. I need Winter. And while I pity Levana, I still hate her. She is a gloriously wicked villain with a completely tragic backstory and warped intentions. omg. This book is the best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Marissa Meyer
“Maybe the princess could save herself."
"That sounds like a pretty good story too.”
Marissa Meyer, Fairest

June 16, 2014 – Shelved
June 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 5, 2015 – Started Reading
February 5, 2015 –
page 100
45.45% "HOW DOES THIS AUTHOR WRITE LIKE THIS? I'm simultaneously disgusted and pitying Levana. Marissa Meyer is wickedly talented."
February 5, 2015 –
page 124
56.36% "CINDER JUST GOT BORNED."
February 6, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
February 6, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
February 6, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 6, 2015 – Shelved as: retelling
February 6, 2015 – Shelved as: sci-fi
February 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland I just got this. Excited!

C.G. Drews IT IS TRULY A MASTERPIECE.

message 3: by Zoe (last edited Feb 06, 2015 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe This sounds exactly like what we both hoped Wicked would be like... ;)

C.G. Drews YESSS. omg, yes. *whispers* This is awful to say, but...I sometimes wish Marissa Meyer had written Wicked. >.> Now SHHH. I'm a bad bookworm to even say that.

message 5: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy (That Book Gal) I need to buy this book.

C.G. Drews @Ryebrynn: It is worth it. I PROMISE.

Lisa Pickle (maybe I squeaked a few times while reading this)

(maybe I didn't)

(*trots of to library website to see if they have it*)

C.G. Drews I HOPE YOUR LIBRARY HAS IT BECAUSE IT IS A MILLION BUCKETS OF BRILLIANCE.

Lisa Pickle THEY DO. I'M SO HAPPY. I RESERVED IT.

message 10: by Esther (new)

Esther Sooooo.... if I just finished Scarlet (OMG OMG OMG SO AMAZINGGGG!!!) should I read this before going on to Winter (after Cress, obvs) or should I first finish the series?

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @C: I recommend reading it after Cress and before Winter!

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther Then that is what I shall do!

TKLillaheart YES, this perfectly summed up this whole book. Unfortunately I am pretty bad at reviewing books but this is everything I wished I could say and MORE! Please read this series though I would read this as book 3.5. Thank you Paper Fury for always making these amazing reviews.

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @TKLillaheart: Aw, thanks! You're really encouraging! :D

TKLillaheart Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@TKLillaheart: Aw, thanks! You're really encouraging! :D"

:D