Rosa, really's Reviews > In Your Eyes

In Your Eyes by Cardeno C.

bookshelves: mm-gay-fiction, non-kindle, mm-fave-authors, own-read, read-2014, romance, series, shifter, so-sweet, soul-mates-fated, a-reviewed
Recommended for: Cardeno & shifter fans everywhere

Are you excited?

‘Cause I’m excited.

New Cardeno C., people! I love the Mates series and would possibly consider sacrificing a finger just to read more of them. So it’s a forgone conclusion I would enjoy this book.

description

One of the many things that make this particular Cardeno book enjoyable is main character Samuel Goodwin. Samuel is the son of his pack’s alpha and takes his role of presumptive alpha extremely seriously. He’s in love with facts and knows exactly how an alpha should act at all times. But empathetic he is not. Yes, he understands how he should behave, that part of being a good alpha is sympathy and compassion – unfortunately anything involving an emotion is lost on him. He doesn’t understand other people’s feelings and doesn’t recognize his own. Samuel doesn’t even know how to hug people; where does he put his hands? How long does a hug have to last? 2 seconds? 3? Some readers may find him a bit robotic, but to me his lack of emotional intelligence makes him vulnerable and even more loveable for it. He’s like a shifter Mr. Darcy. A shifter Mr. Darcy who hates Korban Keller.

The first thing I hated about him was his smile. Nobody smiles that much genuinely. It’s fake.
Samuel and Korban first meet when they’re eight and eleven respectively. description
Like Samuel, Korban is the presumptive alpha of his pack but in every other way he’s Samuel’s opposite. He’s friendly, smiles and laughs easily and is completely uninterested in the rules and regulations of shifter lore. But he’s extremely interested in Samuel. Samuel, aka Mr. No Emotions, finds such interest highly suspicious. Samuel may have trouble keeping his eyes off Korban, but he mistakes this for distrust. Korban confuses him and rather than deal with it, he assumes his discomfort stems from hatred, which is much more understandable than anything else he may imagine.

And therein lies the problem; it never occurs to Samuel that he may be feeling a more pleasant emotion. Samuel knows only facts and it’s a fact that males only mate with females. It’s simple shifter lore: men are more in touch with their shifter side and so must “tie” (sexy times) with a female shifter, who are more connected to their human side. It’s how shifters retain both their humanity and their shifterity (that’s right, I just made that up). He’s never seen any proof that two males may tie together and therefore the possibility doesn’t exist for him. Which makes it even sweeter when, after a series of dramatic events, Samuel finally realizes that what he’s feeling is love. That Korban is in fact his mate.

The feelings were already there—locked away, hidden, but there....[Korban’s] kiss led them out from the darkness where they were buried and showed them the light of day....For the first time in my life, I was where I was meant to be, who I was meant to be. I was whole.
If that doesn’t make you go aww… as you melt into a puddle of syrup I don’t know what will.
description

What I like most about this whole series is the way Cardeno deals with the ever popular shifter mates theme. As I stated above according to the shifter lore found in this series there is only one correct combination that makes up a mating; males and females. But Cardeno shows that not only can two men love each other, two men, even two species within the series, can complete each other. Wake Me Up Inside features a shifter and a human, Until Forever Comes features a shifter and a vampire and in this book we have two alpha shifters. Cardeno uses the Mates series to show that there’s more than one way to be “correct.” As Zev from the first books says (he makes a brief appearance by phone):

Tying isn’t about males and females. It’s about connecting with someone who can better you, someone who can give you what you’re lacking, someone who can fulfill you and make you whole....We tie with our mates on all levels—physical and emotional—so we can become the best versions of ourselves. That’s what makes us complete, and then we’re stable enough to bind both our forms—wolf and human.
We may not live in the Mates world, but this is still a lesson the world needs to learn and a lesson we should take to heart in our own lives.

The only problem I have with this book is that I want more Samuel and Korban together. They have a few interactions early in the book, but they only start really communicating about halfway through. It’s even further on that we finally get to the smex. Once they do it’s wonderful but I need MORE time with my boys. Especially Korban. He’s a great character, absolutely loveable, but I never get to know him as well as Samuel.

Other than that tiny complaint, this book was the fluffy, romantic & sexy good time you can expect from a Cardeno C. book. Now I can’t wait for the next one. This time I may be willing to give up 2 fingers.

This book was provided by the author for the purpose of providing an honest review for Because Two Men Are Better Than One!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Your Eyes.

June 16, 2014 – Shelved
July 11, 2014 – Shelved as: shifter
July 11, 2014 – Shelved as: so-sweet
July 11, 2014 – Shelved as: soul-mates-fated
September 15, 2014 – Shelved as: a-reviewed

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)

Therese How did I miss this??! And you didn't tell me....;-)?

Rosa, really Uh oh! *hangs head in profound shame* From now I will inform you of all future Cardeno books. Should we add any other authors to the list? :D

message 3: by Therese (last edited Jul 08, 2014 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Therese Rosa, really wrote: "Should we add any other authors to the list? :D"

Hehe, no, I prefer to be bitter and grumpy instead...
But do you get a message or something when a new book is added to a certain author, or are you just checking every now and then? I assume there must be a way to get notifications, but no idea how!

Oh, I hope this one will be better than the 2nd, I found that one smoking, but only "meh" story wise...This one sounds more like #1, excellent!

message 4: by Rosa, really (last edited Jul 08, 2014 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa, really I just check or carefully watch my feed for people who read arcs, but with this book I knew Cardeno's publisher is Dreamspinner so I check here on a regular basis: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/stor...

But they don't send notifications when you pre order. Sucks!

I liked the second book more than first book. I liked that Ethan & Miguel were together the entire book. Also the whole blood thing was clever. Zev and Jonah were only occasionally together and I found it annoying after awhile. I wanna read about my boys TOGETHER.

message 5: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Not excited, but hey what do you expect from me :D

message 6: by Therese (last edited Jul 11, 2014 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Therese If you preorder from Dreamspinner, do you get the book earlier than the publishing date?I've never preordered from them ...

Rosa, really Sofia wrote: "Not excited, but hey what do you expect from me :D"

Just pretend it's a new Lanyon. Then you'll feel excited. :D

Rosa, really Therese wrote: "If you preorder from Dreamspinner, do you get the book earlier than the publishing date?I've never preordered from them ..."

Depending on where you are you may get it a few hours early. I live on the West Coast, so I can download it at 9pm because they're released at midnight.

Otila Great review, Rosa! I bought Wake Me Up and I'll have to move it up on my list. BTW, now I'm seeing song lyrics in all her titles. Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes is one of my favorite songs :)

message 10: by Rosa, really (last edited Jul 11, 2014 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa, really Otila wrote: "Great review, Rosa! I bought Wake Me Up and I'll have to move it up on my list. BTW, now I'm seeing song lyrics in all her titles. Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes is one of my favorite songs :)"

Thanks, buddy. I love that song too! How could I not -- it's from the 80s & it's from Say Anything. LOVE that movie. I wonder if Cardeno comes up with these titles, takes them from songs, or it's Dreamspinner.

Speaking of songs though, it occurred to me that Chess is a total Amy Whinehouse. A talented drug addict. Now I have the entire Back to Black album stuck in my head. Which isn't horrible, usually I sing the same one line form Lady Gaga or something over and over and over. Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah-ah! Roma-roma-mamaa! Ga-ga-ooh-la-la! Oi.

message 11: by Otila (last edited Jul 11, 2014 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Otila Oi! is right. Now I have Lady Gaga stuck in my head.

Rosa, really Otila wrote: "Oi! is right. Now I have Lady Gaga stuck in my head.

Excellent. My evil plan is working. If I have to suffer, so do you.

Chess IS a total Amy Whinehouse. Let's just hope she ends up better. I think we should try to relate all our books to music from now on."

I'm still waiting for a Total Eclipse of the Heart book. I LOVE THAT SONG.

Otila Rosa, really wrote: "I'm still waiting for a Total Eclipse of the Heart book. I LOVE THAT SONG."

YES! Love it too. How about a Careless Whisper book or Everything She He Wants. I LOVE Wham!

Rosa, really Why not Last Christmas?

Laaaast Christmas, I gave you my heart. The very next day you gave it way. This year to save it from...something -- fear?....I'll give it to someone special.

What would I be doing with my brain if I didn't fill it with songs from the 80s? And Lady Gaga?

Otila This year to save me from tears... Ahh, perfect for a Christmas book :)

You'd probably be finding a cure for Cancer...but 80s songs and Lady Gaga are good too.

Rosa, really I'd probably be boring. Working in a lab all day. No social skills. But then I'd meet a dude with a motorcycle and he would teach all about, uh, relaxing. So I would retire from my lab and take a job doctoring small foster children that motorcycle man protects. And being a stepmother to his adorable teens who love me because I make daddy happy. Of course, everything goes horribly wrong when the evil ex-wife shows up and I discover I cant' give motorcycle man more children. I return to my lab, only to have motorcycle man's entire friends and family come visit me to tell me how well loved I am (shades of Jory), but nothing convinces me until the dude with a motorcycle come finds me and gives me some hard fuckin which convinces me of his true love. We then adopt a brainy 5 year old foster child. The end.

Otila Lolol. Then you write the book and I give it 5 stars! You can call it karma chameleon because... You come and go. You come and goOO

Rosa, really That's the BEST song! Did you ever see the episode of the A-Team with Boy George guest starring? BEST THING EVER.

I have a feeling we could go on for days with this shit. What about Cyndi Lauper? And we haven't even discussed 80s Madonna.

Otila Omg! I don't remember that! How can I not remember? I love the A-team. I'm gonna have to look it up.

I love cyndi so I was thinking my book would be called True Colors but 80s Madonna is the shit so I'll go with Lucky Star. I'll be the homely girl who moons over a rock star. Then I get discovered for my voice (not the American Idol reject voice I actually have) and get a makeover and become a star and the rock star will fall in love with me. Our romance is epic until he gets in a car wreck and I think he's dead but he actually has amnesia and is living as a hot mechanic...wait that's a telenovela I used to watch. Oh well. I'm sure no one will notice. I'll have to change my name tho to Iesha(cuz love that song).

I was at the supermarket and they were playing 80s Elton John and I thought 'how appropriate'. We have to include Elton!

Rosa, really I would read that book. I especially like the amnesia/mechanic part. Awesome. Are we talking Another Bad Creation? Cause that song is awesome. Like Criss Cross. You could call it I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues. And the hero could be called Blue.

Otila Yep ABC. but was that 80s or 90s? Doesn't matter I guess cuz AWESOME song. I like the name blue and he could sing Your Song. And Blue would have Pink Cadillac cuz Springsteen is the BOSS.

Rosa, really Somebody's gotta wear a raspberry beret then. :D

Otila And everyone would be telling him "I Want Your Sex"

message 24: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Both your story telling and song combining is awesome, both of you. Totally gobsmacked. You Spin me right round baby right round.

Rosa, really That's a good title for a book as well, Sofia. :))

What about Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now? Remember that song? From the movie Mannequin? That was my favorite movie for an really, really long time. That and Three Men and a Baby.

Rosa, really We can build this dream together, standing strong forever, nothing's gonna stop us nooooow! And if this world runs out of lovers, we'll still have each other...blah blah blah.

Another song stuck in my head.

message 27: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Do you remember Tony Hadley of Spandau? yum

Otila Love that song, Sofia! Now we just have to come up with your story.

Love that song, Rosa! I just watched Mannequin a few weeks ago :) Three men is awesome.

Jessie's girl is a good one

Otila I know this much is truuue

Rosa, really Oo oo oooo...I love yo-oh.

Did you know there's supposed to be a ghost in Three Men? Some scene you can see a little boy in the apartment WHO'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. Scary.

Here you go, Sofia:

description

message 31: by Sofia (new)

Sofia You are GOLD :P

Rosa, really I like the guy in the back with the cummerbund and scarf. Niiiiice. :D

Therese Reading all these comments about 80's songs make me want to watch The Wedding Singer again...

message 34: by Otila (last edited Jul 12, 2014 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Otila Oooo. The wedding singer is awesome.

The ghost is actually just a cardboard cutout of Ted Danson. I was so disappointed when my hubby pointed that out to me.

I'm watching Big right now. I love this movie but if you think about it its kinda icky. He's like 12 lady!

message 35: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Big - the one with Tom Hanks?

Rosa, really The ghost is Ted Danson? I wonder if that was done on purpose. For VHS sales. Bwahahahah! VHS. I don't know why that's funny. BUT IT IS.

Yeah, 12. Yeah, Tom Hanks. It is gross. They don't sleep together -- oh wait they do don't they? Good lord.

Otila It's funny cuz we're old. These kids today don't even know what VHS is.

They do sleep together- see I told you it's icky.

I was also watching Teen Wolf the other day. Have you ever noticed the dude with his fly down at the end? He zips up right in front of the camera.

I just noticed I've been watching a lot of 80s movies lately.

Therese Rosa, really wrote: "The ghost is Ted Danson? I wonder if that was done on purpose. For VHS sales. Bwahahahah! VHS. I don't know why that's funny. BUT IT IS.

Yeah, 12. Yeah, Tom Hanks. It is gross. They don't sleep to..."

Yes, there's definitely something a bit "off" with the love-story in Big, but the movie is so great, I don't care:-).
Love all Tom Hanks 80's movies..Splash, The 'burbs, The Money Pit...

message 39: by Rosa, really (last edited Jul 12, 2014 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa, really I don't watch Teen Wolf. *stop throwing stuff at me* I just read the fanfic. :D Still need to read No Homo, though.

They're the best! Or at least the silly ones are. Like Mannequin & Three Men & Big. I think I love 'em so much because they came out when I was about 10 (in 86) when most of my opinions were forming. Something like that. So the fact that Jake didn't come pick me up in a Porche on my 16th birthday is STILL a shock to me. WTF?

message 40: by Rosa, really (last edited Jul 12, 2014 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa, really Therese wrote: "Rosa, really wrote: "The ghost is Ted Danson? I wonder if that was done on purpose. For VHS sales. Bwahahahah! VHS. I don't know why that's funny. BUT IT IS.

Yeah, 12. Yeah, Tom Hanks. It is gross..."

Therese, I've seen The Money Pit roughly 843 times. Probably more than Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth. And I've watched that movie A LOT. I'm getting turned on just thinking about the lake scene. AAAAAAAAAA! I love you, Colin!

Therese And "Hungry Eyes"...Can I get a book named that please?
Or "He's like the wind", a story about that guy that is soo out of my league...(hmm, might have been written 100 times already...)

Otila Teen Wolf the movie not the show. Michael J Fox was my boyfriend of course. The Money Pit and Splash are awesome. And yep, I was always waiting to find my Jake Ryan once I got to high school. I also thought everyone would look much older when I got to high school.

There' smokes I can still watch over and over- Breakfast Club, Cocktail etc. and then there's others that you think Why in the Hell did I love this movie-like Teen Witch.

message 43: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Did you know Rosa that water moving (waves, showers, waterfalls,etc) is often used as a symbol for successful copulation especially in films where such scenes are not shown. Example that old film with Burt Lancaster kissing a girl on the beach with waves crashing against their feet.

Rosa, really She's like the wind - written and performed by Mr. Patrick Swayze! Awesome.

Otila Nobody puts Baby in a corner!

Rosa, really Otila wrote: "Teen Wolf the movie not the show. Michael J Fox was my boyfriend of course. The Money Pit and Splash are awesome. And yep, I was always waiting to find my Jake Ryan once I got to high school. I al..."

Oh, thank god, I love the movie Teen Wolf. Of course! And I believe you liked Teen Witch due to the rap scene.

description

Otila Chaka Khan's Ain't Nobody- I wanted to be Kelly from Breakin'
I watched this one and Electric Boogaloo last week. They're still AWESOME.

message 48: by Jenni Lea (new)

Jenni Lea Ah, nostalgia. I'm a Goonies fan myself. Seen that movie hundreds of times. That and Willow. Mmmm... Val Kilmer when he was young...

Rosa, really Sofia wrote: "Did you know Rosa that water moving (waves, showers, waterfalls,etc) is often used as a symbol for successful copulation especially in films where such scenes are not shown. Example that old film ..."

It makes sense. Like the train going into the tunnel in The Lady Eve. Pretty risque for a movie made in 1941.

Otila Ahaha. Yep the rap song was awesome. I love Goonies and Willow. I second your Mmmm for young Val

« previous 1