C.G. Drews's Reviews > Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

bookshelves: 5-star, contemporary, read-2015, young-adult, audio-books, foodie-fiction, ya-male-narrators, read-2018, reread
Read 2 times. Last read May 17, 2018 to May 19, 2018.

READ #2: May 2018
I an't even with how freaking adorable this is. It's been 3 years since I first read it but I just...😍I seriously ended up smiling like nothing else for those last chapters. The cute'o'meter is broken, ok. This book BROKE it. It just makes me so happy...but also balances that with a lot of anxiety through Simon being blackmailed.

I think books just get the 5/5 when they make you feel all the things.

(Also it's SO much fun rereading and knowing who Blue is!! Blue is frikkin ADORABLE.)

And I can't stop smiling. I mean, there are times when it's actually more work not to smile.

ME RN

☆~☆ READ #1: December 2015 ☆~☆
Okay but. HELP. THIS WAS SO INSANELY ADORABLE I SUFFOCATED. I was listening to the audiobook and GRINNING. Like an idiot. The ending = Cait losing all control of her Vulcanism and just GRINNING LIKE A SHEER IDIOT. (I might've mentioned that already, but it bears saying again.) So least to say I LOVED IT. Of course!! Everyone recommended me this book a zillion times and they were a zillion percent right.

Why?! WHY IS IT SO GOOD?! Omg, let me write you a little list:
• First of all Simon is freaking awesome. He's actually kind of a "lighter" personality. He hugs people and jokes and is easy to get along with and very, very relatable. He overthinks and he's angsty -- but it's like not as intense?! It felt really refreshing!! He was an UTTERLY enjoyable character to read about!!

• Food. Food is good. This book has food. (Although, I confess: I have not had an oreo. I had a fake-oreo when I was in China once and it tasted like charcol toothpaste and I was assured it was fake and not a "real oreo". So I would like to try the real thing, please and thank you.)

• IT IS AFDJSKALD ADORABLE IN TERMS OF ROMANCE ERK. EEP. FEEELLLP. *pauses to calm feels* No really! I'm not typically a huge fan of contemporaries but afjdksald this is one of my most favourite relationships of ever. I had misgivings. It's an anonymous internet friendship between Simon and "Blue" who goes to Simon's school but they don't know each other IRL. I totally get why they did it. I absolutely relate to the ease of online friendships. Of course Simon and Blue develop into something moooooore. And there are tons of emails between them AND THE FLIRTING IS SO STINKIN' CUTE. I did spend a while mad at Blue. I thought he was being selfish. I don't take that back, per se, but I can't hold it against him because aren't we all selfish at times?

• All the characters were really flawed!! BUT LIKEABLE. And that's how I like to read characters.

• I absolutely lost. my. brain. trying to figure out who Blue was really. I DID NOT GUESS RIGHT. But the reveal is the best of the universe.

• And there are so many epic friendships in this book too!! I adore books about friendships! Simon has a tight-knit friends group of Nick, Abby, and Leah. I really loved Abby (she was just so bubbly and fresh and concerned and adorable) and I thought Nick was about as interesting as a paper fork. Leah? Ugh. Leah is like the only aspect of the book I didn't like. She's realistic, sure. But she was a super needy friend, and jealous and ragey and her attitude to her other friends really sucked, but THEY were the ones who had to apologise. I also dislike how at the end (view spoiler)

• I had this stupid deluded moment thinking I was going to give it 4-stars. HAHAHAHHA NOPE. The ending totally blew my mind with its levels of adorableness. A MILLION STARS.

• Although I have to have a little snobby poke at the writing. Because, often times I feel like the scenes cut off too abruptly. I know this is a debut, and I'm extra sure this author is on the path to epic writing. Just sometimes the writing did feel lurchy and I often felt when there was a scene of several characters, a few would always be left out of the conversation so much that I forgot they were even there. Erm.

• And at one point Blue makes this comment about "people who are straight and white never having to have identity issues." And I thought that was a horribly narrow-minded comment. I think the book is SO epic in its thoughts otherwise, that maybe that was just Blue being a stupid teen? Everyone has issues. Loads of people wonder who they are and question things. Any skin colour. Any gender. Andy sexual orientation. Any walk of life basically.

• Also I listened to the audiobook and it was PERFECTION. Definitely an audio recommend! It reminded me of the White Cat audios (which are entirely good, go listen to them now) too.

• I loved how it was part mystery, part friendship book, part discovering your identity and just...a real coming of age story! I adored it. And it was funny and adorable and quirky (but not TOO quirky). And I liked how there were no awkwardly long soliloquies. I was so impressed that everything felt SO REAL. This book is just an oreo of perfection dunked in addictiveness with a good helping of hilarity and perfectly wonderful characters and just --- EEEEP. I LIKED IT A LOT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Becky Albertalli
“Why is straight the default? Everyone should have to declare one way or another, and it shouldn't be this big awkward thing whether you're straight, gay, bi, or whatever. I'm just saying.”

“What's a dementor?"
I mean, I can't even. "Nora, you are no longer my sister."
"So it's some Harry Potter thing," she says.”

Becky Albertalli
“White shouldn't be the default any more than straight should be the default. There shouldn't even be a default.”
tags: glbt

Becky Albertalli
“People are shameless when it comes to cake. It's a beautiful thing to see.”

June 16, 2014 – Shelved
June 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 3, 2015 – Started Reading
December 3, 2015 –
10.0% "I cannot even count how many people have squalled at me to read this. SO LOOK. I'M READING THIS. I LIKE IT THUS FAR."
December 4, 2015 –
55.0% "I'm having a small heartattack."
December 5, 2015 –
90.0% "THIS IS SO FREEEEAKING CUUUUUUTE. To eloquently quote Simon: I can't even right now."
December 5, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
May 17, 2018 – Started Reading
May 17, 2018 –
page 53
17.49% "It's been 3 years since I read this and I'm happy to report that I remember ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. GO BRAIN. So a reread is in order before I read Leah's book. 😂"
May 19, 2018 –
page 109
35.97% "Simon: I'm mostly a lowkey kind of person--
Blue: [types one word]
Simon: [falls in love and can't breathe for 900 years]"
May 19, 2018 –
page 261
86.14% "Any Becky Albertalli Character: [sees a person]
Them: I might be in love !! Potential !! for so much love!!!
Me: [sees a person]
Me: oh god i hope they don't see me or talk to me or acknowledge my existence"
May 19, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 19, 2018 – Finished Reading
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: reread

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Nur Raihan I listened to the audiobook too, but I kinda stop halfway because mainly I can't focus on audiobooks :( is there any possible ways to overcome this problem?

C.G. Drews @Nur Raihan: Well, if audios aren't for you, don't force yourself!! I always do something while I'm listening (aka go for a walk, do origami, draw, etc) but seriously, don't pressure yourself if you prefer to read! :D

message 3: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee OH GOD I have never been so relieved to see a rating of someone for this book. I'm so happy you loved it so much!! :D And yeah I didn't see the reveal of Blue coming either BUT IT WAS SO ADORABLE OMG. I've re-read this book about 3 times already and it keeps getting better.
Also, I was an oreo-newbie too. I'd never had oreo's before and now I have and they're divine.

C.G. Drews @Bieke: You've already read it 3 times?! AFJDKSLAFD I ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND. It is so ridiculously amazingly cute. <3 MY OtP.

message 5: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Cait Grace wrote: "@Bieke: You've already read it 3 times?! AFJDKSLAFD I ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND. It is so ridiculously amazingly cute. <3 MY OtP."

No 4 times :P I re-read it 3 more times after the first time i read it. And yes totally my OTP too. <3<3<3<3

Vlora It's so good!! I listened to the audio and just walked around town grinning stupidly, prolonguing my walk because I didn't want to arrive because then I'd have to stop listening (because you know, politeness and social rules and that ridiculous stuff). I think my favorite was the facebook game Simon plays with his family at Christmas haha. And when you try Oreos, you need to try the ones covered with milk chocolate! I think they're a bit overrated, but they do taste good. :)

C.G. Drews @Vlora: I WAS GRINNING STUPIDLY TOO. Amazing feeling. :') The audio is perfect and seriously I could. not. stop. smiling at the end there. AFJDSAKLD ALL THE FEELS.

message 8: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee I was mostly melting into a puddle after the big Blue reveal. GAHD I still swoon remembering.

Chey When I saw this was a debut I was kinda flabbergasted this was her first book. Albertalli needs to write more, ASAP!

floreana OH MY GOD SAME WITH EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID. I read this book like a year ago and I still can't stop grinning like a fool everytime I think about it or I read some quote somewhere. I just. It's so. freaking. adorable. THE END IS SO AMAZINGLY AWESOME LIKE ? YES. YES. YEESSS.

Cynthia (Bingeing On Books) Just finished this one and it was CRAZY ADORABLE!!! I am from Georgia so I totally got the references to Waffle House and Frosted Oranges at The Varsity. My God, this book made me hungry. And I was grinning so hard for the entire book. I freaking LOVED it!

haley Awesome review, Cait! I totally agree with what you said about Leah, she really annoyed me.

message 13: by evi (new) - rated it 5 stars

evi YOU READ IT OMG I AM SO HAPPY YOU LOVED IT!
This is my favorite contemporary YA book as of ever and YES IT IS SO FLIPPING ADORKABLE :D :D :D

message 14: by Zeee (new)

Zeee  (I Heart Romance) You've never had REAL oreos, Cait?! OMG WHY?! :)

Emrys OMG right. LOVED IT to bits really when I read it. I bought my copy at a Book convention and this is by far my newest favourite Author and characters yet :D

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Emrys: Yessss, it's just so adorable and perfect!

Frankie Lovely I just borrowed this audiobook today! I'm excited to start it even more after reading your fantastic review. Also, I love it when I listen to audiobooks while shopping or whatever and I'm grinning like an idiot lol. Glad you enjoyed this one!

madalyn ( polaroid books ) Words literally can't explain how much I want to read this book. :D

Katherine Simon and Blue....

Amatullah Saeed I love reading your reviews and this one is just so darn cute.Just reading your review makes me want to read this book immediately .

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Amtullah: That is honestly the most encouraging and nicest things to hear. <3 THANK YOU. And PS. yessss read this one!!

Ilsen Leon Wow I was the opposite. I loved your review by the way. (This is just my opinion) I honestly was like ehh about Abby. I really liked Leah. The whole coming out thing kinda annoyed me too but I understand. But I loved this book and I love your review

SilverWisp YOU. HAVE. NOT. HAD. AN. OREO.

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @SilverWisp: I'm gluten free. 😂

SilverWisp Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@SilverWisp: I'm gluten free. 😂"

Oh. OH. :P I'm so smart.

message 28: by Celia (new) - added it

Celia Thanks for the AMAZING review! This is absolutely one of my most favorite and treasured books! I have read it three times, loved the sequel the Upside of Unrequited, and can't wait for Leah on the Offbeat!

Fuzaila This review is EVERYTHING

Susie Wang Have you tried real oreo yet? I love oreos, too! Having a fake oreo must be one hell of an experience. I haven't had one myself, but I've had a lot of fake food and drinks 'cause I live in China. I had a can of fake Red Bull last year, it tasted seriously weird.